Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant log in

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 beaners

beaners

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:15 PM

Hello! I havent posted on here in quite awhile, but have recieved great help in the past. I hope that something can be done now. Somehow (I believe it might have been previous owner) my password got changed for administrator. I am unable to do quite alot. Is there any way to log in???? I was using the password the person I got the comp from. I know I should have changed it right away. I can log in as his daughter but there are alot of parental controls that there is very little I can do..... Its a HP pavilion Slimline, They never even had it connected to the internet, I got a fantastic deal on it but not if I cant use it. Is there anything I can do?????? Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

Google Results

Louis

#3 beaners

beaners
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hello Im finally back.... Still cant log in..... My comp is the 5000 series model And the answer at the Google results did not work.....different Models????? Could use a little more help!! Thanks in advance

Edited by beaners, 18 January 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#4 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

Go here http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ Download the UBCD. Burn the disc.

Boot the PC to the CD and run the offline password changer.

#5 Chase_Wheeler

Chase_Wheeler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

I have found that the Offline Password Changer doesn't always work in Win 7, so in that case I use Active Password Changer from the HireNS boot CD (Which may or may not be illegal so acquire the program and burn a separate CD), its a bit more complicated to use but works in a pinch.

Be very careful with any password changer because you are editing your registry and you could do some damage, so back up your registry before making changes.

Edited by Chase_Wheeler, 19 January 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

<<...Active Password Changer from the HireNS boot CD...>>

From what I see, that's only an outdated a demo/trial version of a pay program. Current demo/trial version available at http://www.password-changer.com/download.htm .

As a note, recommending/suggesting use of Hiren's is not permitted on this website, see Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE-BartPE - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic382841.html .

Louis

#7 Chase_Wheeler

Chase_Wheeler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

hamluis I was not aware that HireNS used MS technology, so I will edit my post and quit recommending it, although I presume its still OK to recommend programs located on HireNS right? How am I to know if a program uses MS technology?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

No need to edit your post, it will destroy the continuity of what comes after :).

Just making you aware of the policy, nothing more :).

As I understand it...Hiren's is a compilation of various tools from various sources that someone put together. It's, therefore, impossible to mention using a tool on that .iso...without implicitly or definitively mentioning Hiren's.

My take is...since Hiren's seems to be nothing other than a compilation of various tools developed by others...and who possibly are not given credit for their efforts...I would follow the website policy and not get embroiled in determining whether there are other copyright/use infractions involved...other than the one we associate with Microsoft.

I'm willing to bet...that a Google search of each tool listed as part of the Hiren's compilation...would result in better, more recently developed tools that also reflect proper credit to developers. Just a guess, based on what I found when poking around.

<<How am I to know if a program uses MS technology?>>

Google still works, right? I think the pronouncement I linked to...is pretty explicit about what is MS technology, as far as this website is concerned.

Louis

#9 akoch

akoch

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

Reinstall windows dude. You don't someone elses garbage on your machine.

#10 beaners

beaners
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:43 AM

Thanks for all the replys... Im thought I knew a little abought comps... But now I feel pretty stupid.. Cant figure this out... All I tried (a few) requires? the password. But still am willing to try just abought anything... Thank you all!!

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

Since you bought this system used I agree that reinstalling Windows is the best way to go.
Then you are assured that the system is virus/malware free and isnt loaded up with a bunch of junk from the previous owner.

If the recovery partition is still intact just do a full system recovery to put the system back to an "out of the box" state. Then take the time to create recovery disks in case yor hard drive fails in the future.

I think that is the best way to go.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users