Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

heat soak?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wooshie

Wooshie

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

I have a desktop I am working on. It was running great for several weekswith no issues. A few days ago it starting getting random Bsod's. I ran memtest for 10 hours since memory is a usual culprit. No errors no problems. I decided to physically inspect the hardware. The computer had been disconnected for almost 15 minutes. When I touched the heatsink on the north/south bridge chipsets I burned my finger bad enough to take skin off. I think I found my culprit. I know this chipset gets hot, but it was really hot. Is this mobo shot or is there a recommended air cooling option for the chipset. I have found this to be a random problem with this board. Opinions of all kinfd are welcome. Specs below. I would list the Bsod's but the pc shuts down 2 fast to catch the descriptions.

Asus P5N-D motherboard
Intel Pentium Dual Core E-6500
EverCool transformer 4 cpu cooler
8GB DDR2 memory (matched modules)
WD 750 GB green hard drive
NVidia GT 210 graphics card
Mid Tower case
500 watt PSU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

I'm of two minds on this one. I've seen defective chips get way to hot and I had one I put a 50mm fan on to keep it cool. That helped get more use out of it but ultimately it was a failing NVidia chipset motherboard and I was just stretching it.

Then there are some Asus motherboards that came with a fan for the chipset heatsinks to be used if the CPU was watercooled. That could also affect them if a non Intel heatsink was used and the one being used pushed no air through the chipset heatsink.

Less likely would be a failing motherboard overvolting the chip, or maybe overclocking?

Bottom line I would try and find a way to blow air on it first as a test. It if runs cool that way see if the BSODs come back. If it is running hot enough to take skin off it is way out of range for operating temeratures.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 31 December 2011 - 02:52 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Wooshie

Wooshie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

This Motherboard had died(not sure why) and was refurbished by asus and it is just out of the 30 day warranty. Thisis a great mobo and has never been oc'd. If this mobo is dead I will replace it with one I found that supports ddr3 memory and has a good warranty. The cooler's are cheap and I think I would do well by trying that route first before I spend $ on a new mobo.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:24 PM

Wooshie, Heat Kills.

I've seen a couple of Toshiba L/T motherboards that were killed by continuous overheating. And by your report this one was for sure way to hot.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Wooshie

Wooshie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

new mobo ordered. not worth the trouble.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:10 AM

I fixed an old biostar board up with an chipset heatsink, but it was a hassle, and I was lucky in the fact the heat hadnt permanently damaged anything before hand. ASUS does make some fine motherboards, however, like any manufacturer, even they have the flaws-perhaps whatever caused it to die the first time wasnt properly fixed during the refurbishing or something was done during the refurbishing. In any case, I think its a good call to order a new one, I also think it couldn't hurt to contact ASUS customer support to see if theyll let you warranty it anyway even though its past the date. Sometimes theyll let you RMA it regardless if its just past the date, sometimes not, but it doesnt cost anything to find out-the worst they can say is no.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:56 AM

Also clean the insides of your PC case with a can of compressed air and add some case fans to improve the airflow.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

I fixed an old biostar board up with an chipset heatsink, but it was a hassle, and I was lucky in the fact the heat hadnt permanently damaged anything before hand. ASUS does make some fine motherboards, however, like any manufacturer, even they have the flaws-perhaps whatever caused it to die the first time wasnt properly fixed during the refurbishing or something was done during the refurbishing. In any case, I think its a good call to order a new one, I also think it couldn't hurt to contact ASUS customer support to see if theyll let you warranty it anyway even though its past the date. Sometimes theyll let you RMA it regardless if its just past the date, sometimes not, but it doesnt cost anything to find out-the worst they can say is no.

Sometimes for manufacturing defects they extend the warranty.
HP did that on the infamous dv series with AMD & Nvidia
Toshiba did that for models that would set a system password at random and others where the base and power plug had problems allowing the plug to push into the case.
I got HP to fix a laptop for me even though the warranty was expired. It took some escalation up the ladder. Later they extended all the warranties on that model (dv Series) for 1 year or more on a case by case basis.

I wonder if they left off a heatsink in the refurbing process?

If the board can be warrantied again then it can be tested and sold at worst with the old CPU/Memory.

Edited by rotor123, 02 January 2012 - 11:22 AM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users