Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to open Camera SD cards

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 avz10

avz10

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:41 PM

We are on holiday and have a big problem. I have a Canon EOS 450D and have taken a lot of pictures.

I initially connected my camera to a family members laptop (Vista 7), but the laptop gave the error message that the "USB device is not recognized". I put more SD cards in and it gave the same error messages.

I then connected the Canon to another laptop- HP- Windows 7 with the same message.

I then put the SD cards in a Nikon Coolpix and connected it to both laptops, also giving the error message that the "USB device is not recognized".

When connecting the Nikon Coolpix with its own card to both computers, it opens normally.

Opening "My computer" the Canon is not recognized.

I have no idea.

Has anyone got any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

Have you tired to connect the cards via a SD card reader? If it fails there as well put it back in the camera and try to reformat it.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

Hi avz10,

Like you, my wife and I take lots of photos, thousands at a time, since we are involved in helping to generate an on-line database of Commonwealth wargraves.
With regards to Baltboy's advice - the first part is worth a try, I use a card reader myself. For the second part of his advice - re-formatting the cards - this is a counsel of desperation as it will wipe ALL the photos on the formatted card.
What size of card are you using ? Certainly XP cannot natively read 4 Gig cards, but Win 7 should be able to read large capacity cards straight out of the box. I don't know about Vista, I skipped that one.
One thought did occur to me. A lot of SD cards are 'lockable', there is a little slide sitch on the edge of the case. If this is in the 'locked ' position it might explain your problem.
Another approach might be to see if the computer you are using has a built-in card slot. My wife's Fujitsu Amilo, which is the laptop we take on shooting trips, has such a slot and can read high capacity SD cards with no problem. These slots, connected directly to the mother board, seem to work better than anything else.
Best of luck with recovering these photos, I know what it is like to lose images. I had 400 just evaporate while I was transferring them to the computer last April. Luckily I discovered the loss before we left the area and was able to go back and re-shoot.

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove :thumbup2:

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

this is remotely resembling a retrofit. OS and peripherals only read down, not up. i.e. your SD is read by operating systems below the vista or 7. XP OS maybe your clue.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users