Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hardware, software, or virus problem??

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Lynnie7

Lynnie7

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:45 PM

Hi folks, I'm a long time novice user that tries to be safe on the net, etc, but despite that I've developed a problem on my 3.5 yr old HP pavilion laptop running vista. This all began before Christmas during the night sometime. when I finally got it to boot it installed 'update 3 or 3' which I assumed was a windows update....looked like that screen.

It tells me, when I can get anything up, that I have a security problem and the security center needs attention. In safe mode, which is the only thing I can get up now, I click on the security icon in the task bar and try to turn on and it tells me it can't turn on. Nothing will run for any length of time before the laptop craps out. so can't run virus scan etc. (AVG, Zonealarm, adaware, spybot are on this thing)

Ran 'Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2' which I see by the heading for this forum is not supposed to be posted here, however at the end of that thing nothing was checked and nothing was 'fixed', so clueless about its usefulness I guess.

Any ideas about what I should do next? Is there anyway I can tell from what direction my problems are coming? I sorta doubt it is hardware issue, because it will still do 'something'. At first I thought the windows update caused a problem with os however not sure about that now either. I'm diligent about downloads however other novice users (friends) tell me it's probably a virus.

Any thoughts appreciated. :)

Lynnie

Edited by hamluis, 31 December 2011 - 01:23 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lynnie7

Lynnie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

Additional Info:

Startup utility will not work, cycles endlessly and in fact I left that running for an entire day once without any luck.

Windows restore point will not work. I 'restored' to the furthest back restore point that I could find without success.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lynnie

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

Hello Lynniw and welcome. Lets try the AVIRA RESCUE CD. Hopwfully we will function better after.
Try creating this disk and boot off of it. You will need another computer to make this disk on.
Avira AntiVir Rescue System
Tutorial for Avira Rescue CD
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Lynnie7

Lynnie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for your reply Boopme. I have an additional problem of my cd rom on this laptop not working well, so, I'm not sure I can boot from it. however, I have thumb drives, can I make that cd on a thumb and boot from that? (BTW, I haven't read that document you included yet so you may have already addressed this question there...) Thanks again, Lynnie

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

Yes you can copy it tp a Flash.. Good luck!! :thumbup2:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Lynnie7

Lynnie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

I'm gonna hafta change the boot order to use the thumb. (as I thought the cd will not work) so, should I choose USB with a 'key' or USB 'hard drive'? thanks again. lynnie

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

See below

Edited by boopme, 02 January 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

UGHh my bad
Use USB key allow to read and write to a Windows 95/XP/Vista/7 hard drive.

If you have the choice, we recommend you to choose to build an USB key. The USB Key will be able to memorize your configuration (keyboard, langage, etc...) and will allow you to install addition software, to the limit of available space on the USB key. The USB Key acts a a small hard disc and therefore is superior to a DVD.

#9 Lynnie7

Lynnie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

ok I got the blue screen right when I posted my last question and thought it didn't go, but, it did. Anyway, when it rebooted I changed the order putting the USB key first and USB HD second and above everything else and rebooted, and got a 'no operating system' msg. I copied everything from the cd to the thumb but there must be something wrong with it. there are 14 docs on the thumb now (plus 2 other folders of my stuff that was alreay on there, could my 2 files be screwing it up? I don't think those files should matter.). nothing has a .exe on it?? One's a GZ file, one's a BIM file, and CFG file. the others are icons, security catalog, HTML doc, text doc, file, and outlook item??? Maybe I'm missing something? Is there anyway I can run it from safe mode? thanks so much for helping me. lynnie

#10 Lynnie7

Lynnie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

oops I was posting the same time as you. this is reply to your 'build the USB' reply. I tried to copy to usb from the burn cd option on Avira antivirus downloads, however burning the CD was the only option and I could not get it to go to usb, so I copied. that must be my problem. I'm not building the USB correctly. BTW, i'm using an older windows xp machine to make the usb and i'm using it on a vista notebook. could that be the problem?

THANKS!!!!!! lynnie

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

See if you can download it to the USB,then rebot the Vista machine with the USB connected so it boots off the USB. Try using the "Hard drive" option if needed,who knows what the malware has screwed up.

you're welcome booper !

#12 Lynnie7

Lynnie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

I also have a HP simple save port hd that i've used on this laptop. if i remember correctly i'm supposed to be able to boot from that to restore or something, however I've had the simple save hooked up to the laptop since the trouble began so if it is a virus simple save may be infected as well. I've googled how to make a usb bootable key, but not found anything i can use yet....lots of stuff left to look at from that search though. the dog is fed, cat is abed, and i'm looking for the cork screw next. gonna need some fortification to continue! :)

#13 Lynnie7

Lynnie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

hate to be negative here but just downloading it to the usb aint gonna do it I don't think. when the .exe makes the cd it explodes into 14 files. Maybe I'll try putting USB hd first. maybe the key choice screws it up since it is a thumb and all. (logic here is that it expects a 'key' but it isn't a 'key', hoeever it isn't an hd either.)

well, i'll see what happens.

thanks, lynnie

#14 Lynnie7

Lynnie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

doesn't work on the USB HD option either. No OS. I need an auto run option for the usb. how can i make the usb autorun like the cd does? or, what can i run from the usb in safe mode?

thanks, lynnie

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

When you do step 4 in the Tutorial csn you chanhe the Drive letter in the second image ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users