Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC will only boot via F11

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gwhiz9999

gwhiz9999

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:33 AM

I am not sure which portion of the site is most appropriate for this post, so I hope this is okay.

Some time ago my HP PC, running Vista, got some wicked virus/malware, etc... that essentially rendered the PC unusable. Following the advice of a couple people, I ran a bunch of stuff and got it to function again, but not without ongoing problems. The first of which is that the system will not boot normally. After turning it on, I always have to hit F11-system recovery, otherwise, the normal booting results in the user sign-on screen showing for a few seconds, and then a blue screen of death appears. I have had some trouble with it since this semi-remedy has worked in getting it to more or less run, but I have no idea of why it boots in F11/system recovery, but not normally. Verbatim, the error message on the blue screen page:
--------------------
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, diable the driver or check with
the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to
use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select safe mode.

Technical Information

*** Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x82C391A7, 0x8D6CB91C, 0x00000000)

Collecting Data for Crash Dump...
Initializing disk for Crash Dump...
Physical Memory dump complete.

Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.
------------
I have also had a problem with the hide.exe type stuff, and was told to run an "attrib" command that I believe unhid and "unsystem filed" everything on the drive, so that all hidden files show up everywhere. I am hoping there is some way to rehide only the files that should be hidden, make sure system files ARE system files, etc... (read only may have been included as well -s -h -r??? and /s or something else.) This doesn't seem to hamper the function, but it sure creates a mess of things at times.

Also, I was given a monitor to use with my PC after mine fried out, and not only would it not work via plug n play or whatever, it stopped the PC from working. It wouldn't even boot with it connected, and seemed to put everything in automatic sleep mode as soon as it started booting (the screen went blank and the power light would go dim, etc...).

I don't know if all of these problems are related, coincidental, or what. Another issue that arose briefly was that the power supply went "dead," only having the green light flashing. I was told a trick that might work, blowing a hair dryer on it, which did in fact work. I don't know if that would tell you anything or not. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users