Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic Host Process Problem on Windows XP SP3

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abycrack

abycrack

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

I will state my problem pointwise:

1) Some time after I start up my computer, I get the following error:
"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

2) When I click on 'click here' link in above error message I get following information:
Error signature
"szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.5689 szModName : msi.dll
szModVer : 4.5.6001.22375 offset : 000244cb "

3) Now in this information part when I click 'click here' to view technical info, I get the folowing:
Following files will be included in error report:
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER87d2.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER87d2.dir00\appcompat.txt

4)I restarted computer 2-3 times to make following observations in task manager:
  • For some time processor usage shoots up from around 90 percents and then down to about 50%
  • Also associated high processor using process 'svchost.exe' of about 5-6 such instances grows fast to around 70-80 MB in RAM

5) In the windows XP event viewer associated error appears in the 'System' tab. The overview of this error is:
Source - DCOM , Category - None , Event - 10005 , User - System .

The relevant error event descriptions (obtained by right clicking and selecting properties in event viewer) are:
"
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service gupdate with arguments "/comsvc" in order to run the server:
{4EB61BAC-A3B6-4760-9581-655041EF4D69}
"

6) Later on when I opened ProcessExplorer.exe , there was only one 'svchost.exe' that had 'Dcomlaunch' service in its properties. But this process did not have 'msi.dll' in the DLLs list in the lower pane. Also in handles I did not find key '{4EB61BAC-A3B6-4760-9581-655041EF4D69}' anywhere.

Before all this started happening I had disabled 2 google update services from System Explorer (v 1.4). In fact I do not want these services, and would like to remove them completely but I don't want to create any further problems due to this. Also I don't know if some malicious activity is going on which may be causing this because I am currently able to browse web and also able to update my avast antivirus.

Tell me how to get rid of this error as well as the Google Update services.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 abycrack

abycrack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

Here is an update in point 6 of my original post. I am requoting the old point here:
"
6) Later on when I opened ProcessExplorer.exe , there was only one 'svchost.exe' that had 'Dcomlaunch' service in its properties. But this process did not have 'msi.dll' in the DLLs list in the lower pane. Also in handles I did not find key '{4EB61BAC-A3B6-4760-9581-655041EF4D69}' anywhere.

"

Here is the update:
Actually by the time I opened process explorer the culprit process had gone. Later on at next boot, I monitored for the svchost.exe process that grew up to around 70MBs in process explorer. I don't know if process IDs of these processes change at every boot or not but this one had PID=1060. Under this process I found 'wuauclt.exe' which is the windows update process. This and only this svchost process had 'msi.dll' module in it. The computer ran fine until the daily Windows Update time of 3.00 am approached. Around that time, once again processor usage shot up and above same Generic Host Process error with 'msi.dll' as faulting module came up.
Also one more thing peculiar to this svchost was that it didn't have any Dcomlaunch.exe service in its properties. The only com related thing was the COM+ event system service.

Symptoms:
When the processor usage shot up as told in above part:
1) the monitor screen flickered and the taskbar changed to old flat gray style for some time and then back to original.
2) I could not adjust sound using the volume icon in notifications area. It said No sound or mixer device.
These 2 often happen when windows update notification icon comes up in notifications. (I am using Windows XP Service Pack 3 and this is recently installed windows. I have not done any Microsoft Update yet because last time before formatting I used same Windows version and some microsoft update caused erratic scrolling of my logitech mouse. So I will be installing only the crucial updates manually)

One more thing, though I have disabled both google update services in Computer Management, today (above part was a different windows session, and the one I am telling in this line is the current windows session ) under this same 'svchost.exe' (that has 'wuauclt.exe' under it) for some time 'GoogleUpdate.exe' appeared.

Antivirus (Avast) is updating even now, and there does not seem to be something malicious going on. Just that 'msi.dll' has some problem I think. In the current session with an uptime of about 50 minutes so far this error has ot occurred (It's 12.06 am here now perhaps some fireworks may be ther when it nears 3 am - the time when the dead rise from their graves!).

@Broni I have not yet done the logging activity and will notify when I complete it and post it in a new thread.

Edited by abycrack, 01 January 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#4 abycrack

abycrack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

@Broni : I have created a new topic as you said, here
Link to My Logs Topic

This is just the 'note' reply which you asked to put after I started above new topic in that section for analysis using logs. Well I will be waiting and posting any updates as newer replies in this original topic. Where will I be guided about the solution ? Here or in the new topic ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users