Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Taskbar on my desktop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Furms57

Furms57

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

I recently had my computer infected with what I believe to be a rootkit infection. I attempted to run ComboFix to clear up the problem, however when I attempted to do so, a window popped up and told me that "Windows Security Center 2012 finds this program is infected" and then it wouldn't allow it to open. I restarted my computer and booted up in Safe Mode and attempted to run ComboFix again, however because I was in Safe Mode without a connection, ComboFix uninstalled itself off my computer. I then rebooted into Safe Mode with networking, however I couldn't connect to the internet now. I use a Wi-Fi card built into my computer to connect. I then rebooted into normal mode and now I have no taskbar nor internet connection. My brother told me to run HiJack This! which I did and he posted, I believe, the log from that on a forum, I don't know if it was this forum or not. He stated that I needed to copy SVCHost.exe from my system32 folder to fix the problem because SVCHost.exe wasn't showing up in my Task Manager. I attempted to copy it and it would let me copy it, however I couldn't paste it anywhere. It also wouldn't let me drag and drop a copy of it onto my desktop. I was then told by my brother that I would need a Windows XP disc and need to reinstall SVCHost.exe from said disc. I cannot find anyone I know who has a Windows XP disc and I cannot afford to take my computer to a company or a tech to fix the issue. Does anyone have any kind of suggestion they can offer to maybe help solve my problem? If I'm not being clear enough, then I apologize. I'm typing this up while I'm at work. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

Hello Furms57

Please note the message text in blue at the top of the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for general public or personal use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

My brother told me to run HiJack This! which I did and he posted, I believe, the log from that on a forum, I don't know if it was this forum or not.

Please find out if your brother did a post a log and where he posted it.

Someone here could help here with the issue you have. However, if you have a log posted at another forum you have to decide WHERE to receive help from. (More on that later in this post) Receiving help from two different places is not advisable because neither knows what the other has done and this complicates the clean up process. If your log is here at BC, this topic can be closed.

There is a good reason why we recommend that you don't ask for help while there is an active log. The following applies to logs posted here at Bleeping Computer, but is/should be valid for any place malware logs are posted.

Please refrain from asking for further help from other members or staff until the Malware Removal Team has checked your posted log.
The Malware Removal Team work very hard to investigate a unique solution to your problem and you will receive individual expert assistance. This takes time and effort so we ask you to please be patient while waiting for assistance and NOT to make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team
. Any modifications you make on your own can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted.
Further, following advice outside of that post may cause confusion for the team member assisting you and could complicate the malware
removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

The Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.
If you followed any other advice already, please ensure you inform the Malware Removal Team Team Helper when they respond to assist
you with your log. This will help them know what has been done and they probably will ask for an updated log.

This includes ignoring the advice your brother gave you as that would cause a change on your system.

You have a choice to make. If your brother posted your HJL at another forum you need to decide if you want to continue there OR if you want to receive help here at Bleeping Computer. If you choose to work here you will need to inform the staff at the other forum you do not need their help. They can close your log so time and resources can be used to help others.

If you choose to work there, please let us know so this topic can be closed.

IF you decide to continue here, I suggest you first post in Am I infected? What do I do? DO NOT post any logs in AII. If needed, the person helping you will direct to Malware Removal Logs.

IF YOUR HIJACK THIS LOG IS POSTED HERE AT BC DO NOT POST IN AM I INFECTED Also leave a link to your BC log in this topic.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 December 2011 - 11:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users