Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to execute some programs after applying SP3 to XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brawgates

Brawgates

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:14 AM

I've just upgraded my XP SP2 system to SP3. No problems during the upgrade.

The problems began when I started to populate my system with the various programs I've been using successfully for years under SP2.

After the SP3 upgrade, I've had to install these programs with Administrator authority. Trying to load them as a limited account user resulted in a Windows security popup forcing Adminstrator installation status.

If, immediately after installation, I attempt to run these programs as a limited account they start to run (sort of) normally, then display pop-ups of missing DLLs from time to time. Despite this, they seem to limp along to a successful conclusion? updating my files correctly and saving them on request.

These same programs run without problems under Administrator status. But once they have been run under Administrator, they fail to run under a user with limited account status The applications then freeze with their startup logo and produce the message:

Failed to update the system registry.
Please try using REGEDIT.

All the programs affected are somewhat long in the tooth (old!), and include KeyCAD 3.0 and parts of Lotus Smartsuite 9.8.

I've searched the web and MS KB where the most promising feedback is in KB255130. However, KB255130 does appear to be specific to Acrobat Reader, and I'm after a more generic approach that I can apply to any instance where I hit this problem. I have several more important programs to load!!!

Any help or guidance will be gratefully received

HAPPY NEW YEAR :thumbsup:

Peter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

Since a limited account is not supposed to be able to update the registry that is the problem.

What happens when you right click on the program and choose run as administrator as shown below.

[attachment=115644:run as.JPG]

Best Regards
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Brawgates

Brawgates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

Roger

I much appreciate your interest and very rapid response.

What happens when you right click on the program and choose run as administrator as shown below.

It works!!! :wizard:

One learns something new everyday. I've never needed this option in SP2, so never given Run as any thought. I assume it was in SP2?

Is there any way of avoiding the Run as process for those oldies that still want to access the Register? Perhaps a permanent change to the registry enties?

Caveat emptor will apply . . .

Best wishes

Peter

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:41 PM

I'd stay out of the registry to be safe.

I've never had that problem in XP so I'm not sure how to avoid it. There is one thing you could try and do not know if it will help or not. Right click on the program and choose the compatibility tab and try setting it to an older windows version and see if that helps.

[attachment=115649:compaibilty.JPG]

In this one I chose Win98/Me also options for Win95, NT etc.

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Brawgates

Brawgates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

Roger

Thanks again for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

I'll give your idea a whirl tomorrow. Just about to rush out and welcome in the New Year.

Good fortune

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users