Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove MBR from Slave Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rm162

rm162

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:59 AM

I was trying to reinstall my original operating system on my master drive and I believe that I erroneously created a Master Boot Record on my Slave Drive. I can detect the drive in Disk Management; it is present with a single partition and an EISA configuration. Now I cannot access the data on the slave drive, I believe the data is still there as it shows that approximately 250gb of the 500gb capacity is still available (the MBR would not be that big).

Can someone help me remvoe the MBR, or access the data on the slave drive so I can back it up to another drive. I don't want to run the risk of losing the data on the slave drive by reformatting it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

System manufacturer and model?

The only way that an MBR can be on a slave drive...is if that drive reflects an O/S.

Go to Disk Management (Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter).

Use the Print Screen key to take a snapshot so that all drives attached are reflected.

Post the screenshot as an attachment.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot. - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html

The only thing Windows can do with an EISA partition...is delete it. Cannot read anything on such.

Louis

#3 rm162

rm162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

I attached the screen shot

the computer is a Sony PCV RS613G, with 2GB of RAM.

#4 rm162

rm162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

sorry the file was too big I had to repost.

Attached Files

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:37 PM

The EISA configuration is utility software offered by a system manufacturer, in the form of a hidden partition.

Included tasks in this system may be encryption, compression, creation, repairing, formatting, cloning and many others.

The eisa configuration stands for Extended Industry Standard Architecture. It is a standard bus from IBM developed in 1988 which is compatible for all computers.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/delete-and-remove-to-unlock-eisa-hidden-recovery-or-diagnostic-partition-in-vista/

Now...I've never seen an EISA partitition that was nearly as large as your New Volume. Your other EISA partition seems more typical.

Something has gone wrong...but I can't tell you what or how to overcome it.

Let's see what others may think.

Louis

<<I was trying to reinstall my original operating system on my master drive and I believe that I erroneously created a Master Boot Record on my Slave Drive.>>

It would help...if you would tell us, step by step, exactly what you did...and when...and why.

Your original O/S was XP? What O/S was installed when you began your efforts?

Edited by hamluis, 31 December 2011 - 06:42 PM.

#6 rm162

rm162
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

I'm sure that my data files are included in that large partition; i just can't access them.

I was trying to create a recovery cd and it must have written the utility software to my slave drive. I can't figure out how to undo what I have done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users