Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help: website loading problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zekira G. Drake

Zekira G. Drake

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:32 AM

OK... I'll try to explain things as comprehensive as possible. Hoping for a good answer.

So my current network is simply like this: internet(modem)->router->computers. My desktop is wired to the router while all other computers connect to the router via wireless. I use the desktop.

1.) Most of the time, if not always, when I try to load up a website, I always get a page not found error (in any browser) until I Release/Renew the DHCP on my router. HOWEVER, it's not always a guaranteed load!
1a.) Take note that this actually happens with any site, even Google and Yahoo, and even bleepingcomputer.com!

2.) However, when that specific domain loads, anything loaded from that domain will work fine.

3.) After an idle amount of time of not loading anything from said domain, however, things will start to mess up again!

4.) When I connect my computer directly to the modem (thus cutting off the internet from the router, thus all the other computers connecting through the router couldn't connect anymore), everything works fine. All sites load properly and if they don't, it's because they ACTUALLY DON'T (e.g. site is down, I blocked it, etc).
4a.) In fact, I had to connect my computer directly to the modem just to be able to type this message up :/

5.) This then leads me to conclude that it's the router's problem. HOWEVER, apparently for the other computers in the network, they've never had this problem at all! I used my netbook to confirm this and indeed, my netbook does load the sites that don't work here in the desktop!

6.) Which is then confusing whether it's my network card or my router that's having problems. My current suspicion right now is that the interaction between router and network card is the main issue here...

7.) However I don't know where to look. I've been trying out a huge amount of solutions for a total of 13 hours now (and reverting back when they don't work) and I still haven't fixed it.

8.) I am positive that this is not a browser-specific issue. In any browser I've tried, I always have this same problem. Furthermore, I DID say that as long as I connect my computer directly to the modem, everything works fine.

9.) Almost all internet operations I have that don't run through the browser, such as games, IRC, chat applications, P2P sharing... they run smoothly when I'm on the router. It's just the things that run on internet browsers for some reason.

I'm really lost here, please help! I'm to the point of frustration in which I want to buy a new router and reformat my computer just to ensure that I have my usual work process back, but I want to avoid that as much as possible for obvious reasons.

Please, please help!

Thanks in advance for the efforts!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zekira G. Drake

Zekira G. Drake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:46 PM

Oh and some info I got and tried: apparently setting my DNS manually to 208.67.220.220 & 208.67.222.222 somehow cleared up my issues. Anyone know why? I'd like to inquire why this works...

#3 Ragnar Devonin

Ragnar Devonin

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:55 AM

I'm not a network expert, so this may not be the issue. However... I see something similar happen with my similar setup and the issue may be the same.

It seems like your router is having issues with assigning IPs to devices on your network. This means (AFIAK) that if one of your wireless devices is assigned, say, 192.168.0.100 and that is what the desktop is using, it will cause a conflict and one/both (in this case just the desktop) would have issues/not work at all.

Since manually setting the DNS settings, I assume you also set the desktop on a static IP, which would bypass the problem because the router won't assign anything using the IP you set your desktop on now.

I think the primary source of the problem is combining wireless and wired. The router seems to "forget" what IP it assigned the wired device(s) when a wireless device comes on and thus assigns an IP address to the wireless device that your wired device is using.

To avoid this problem, simply setting up a static IP address on all your devices using numbers below it's default start number (.100 in the above example. Usually the last 3 digits) should fix it for good.

If you check portforward.com they can walk you through doing it. Err... Actually, you may want to just google PortForward. That may not be the right URL.

Assuming this is the issue.

You should be able to determine the default starting number on the router's homepage.

Alternatively, resetting the router by unplugging it for 15ish seconds may fix it as well. This method does it for me, thankfully, since I don't have access to all devices to set static IPs.

I also only ever have the issue with wireless devices myself. They seem to always override and boot wired devices off of accessing the network/internet.

I am guessing the primary problem is with the router itself. Not your network card(s). Another possible permanent solution if your fix/static ips doesn't stick is to try updating the router's firmware (could be a bug that was fixed) or trying a newer/different router.

#4 Zekira G. Drake

Zekira G. Drake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:38 AM

Actually that's correct; my desktop, the only wired device on the router, has a static IP assigned to it.

I'll try out your suggestion. Maybe it'll help.

Oh and additional info yet again:

I noticed that browsing actually becomes a lot better at early morning and late night. This is leading me to believe that it may be the ISP's problem and not mine. But still that mysterious fact remains that my browsing performs better (but not perfect; I still get awkward Page Cannot Be Found moments albeit much less often) when I directly connect the modem.

#5 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

Since it's the wired connection that is affected, have you tried changing ports on your router? Perhaps that port is going bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users