Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Last Pass - Password Manager - Safe ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RAPHelp

RAPHelp

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

Posted Image
Posted ImageAm currently using PassSafe (from SourceForge) ... but am looking for something I can use to access my passwords when not at home (retired - so work not a problem). Have seen good reports for Last Pass - a cloud based password manager ... but am reluctant to put my passwords on the Internet.

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

I use Keypass with Portableapps.com. It loads to a USB drive that I can take anywhere, accessing the passwords requires a master password in case it is lost and encrypts the passwords is has saved/created (make a backup copy of the save file just in case, otherwise you'll lose the use of accounts which it had generated passwords for)

Posted Image

#3 NSILMike

NSILMike

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

Posted Image
Posted ImageAm currently using PassSafe (from SourceForge) ... but am looking for something I can use to access my passwords when not at home (retired - so work not a problem). Have seen good reports for Last Pass - a cloud based password manager ... but am reluctant to put my passwords on the Internet.

Any thoughts?

You don't actually put your passwords on the internet, you put a highly encrypted and hashed version of them online. This is a highly secure way to store them...even lastpass cannot recover them for you. I am not familiar with PassSafe, so can't compare them. But LastPass is very highly rated, and if you create a strong master password for yourself, you should not worry about having your passwords hacked thru LastPass.

#4 Minh Triet Pham Tran

Minh Triet Pham Tran

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

Posted Image

Any thoughts?

The key to decrypt your passwords is not on the Internet.

Your encryption key is created from your email address and Master Password. Your Master Password is never sent to LastPass, only a one-way hash of your password when authenticating, which means that the components that make up your key remain local. This is why it is very important to remember your LastPass Master Password; we do not know it and without it your encrypted data is meaningless. LastPass also offers advanced security options that let you add more layers of protection.

How is LastPass Safe? LastPass User Manual
http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/introduction/why-is-lastpass-safe/

LastPass - Safety
https://lastpass.com/safety.php
If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology. Bruce Schneier

#5 schnowzer08

schnowzer08

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

I enjoy last pass and know people who use it religiously. I have used it for about 3 years now and haven't experienced any problems, they even have Android and iPhone apps available. And if you want you can set it up to require a yubikey as an additional layer of authentication in order to access your "Last Pass Vault". I say give it a shot and try it out. Also check out this article it explains some of the 2 factor authentication available with Last Pass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users