Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Running Slow after a few minutes and CPU is often 100%

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tjpitts10

tjpitts10

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

My daughters computer has been acting strange for awhile now. When you first turn it on everything seems fine then after a few minutes the cpu goes to 100% and the computer becomes painfully slow programs stop responding (ie firefox and explorer) and sometimes there are script errors. Also if you try to play a video it is choppy and the sound is stuttered (which only seems to happen after the computer is on for a few minutes). All of these symptoms seem to start only after the computer has been turned on for 10 minutes or so. I ran Malwarebytes and Superantispyware which only found spyware which I quarantined. This has been going on with this computer since we had to reformat it several months ago. I am wondering if the right driver(s) was downloaded for the audio/video problems?

Scans were ran in Safe Mode. I also ran rkill and tds killer.

Computer is running Windows XP Home SP3

At this point, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by tjpitts10, 30 December 2011 - 09:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:06 AM

Scans were ran in Safe Mode. I also ran rkill and tds killer.

Hello -
Programs like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware are designed to run in normal mode - Safe mode only produces a log
Re-run all of those in normal mode, and list the processes that have the most usage (CTRL+ALT+DELETE)
Has any changes / new programs been made lately ??

Thank You -

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

noknojon, I expanded on your suggestion with a little more detail and a image since I'm a visual oriented person. Happy New Year

Hi, Pin down the offender and more can be done. IN XP press CTRL + ALT + DEL to bring up the Task manager.
Then looking at the sample I attached notice that the Processes tab is selected and that I have sorted on CPU with the highest one on top. the System Idle Process should look like that since it is reporting unused CPU cycles.

[attachment=115646:TaskMan.JPG]

Anything else that runs a high number is slowing down the computer. Wait until the computer slows down and then do the test and report back what is killing the performance.

Also notice that at the bottom it shows I'm using approx 1/4 of my physical memory and CPU usage.

You can also sort by memory to see what uses the most if you are curious. On mine here it is Firefox followed by Thunderbird (Email) and the Firefox Plugin container.

Once that information is at hand more help can be suggested.

Edited by rotor123, 31 December 2011 - 12:15 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 tjpitts10

tjpitts10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

I redid the scans in regular mode and only tracking cookies were found and quarantined. As far as task manager, system idle process is using the most cpu usually around 99. The most memory is being used by foxfire or explorer.

Everything seems okay when you first turn on the computer. After the computer is on for a little while, even 1/2 hour then everything you try to do is very very slow. Even something as simple as opening control panel takes several minutes. Programs such as firefox stop responding and it takes a very long time to close them via task manager.

Edited by tjpitts10, 02 January 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

That was the question what programs are using up the CPU when the computer gets very slow and of course also what programs might be memory hogs at the same time.

Selecting the CPU tab will sort them in order of CPU usage and the Mem Use tab will do the same.

Normally when a computer gets really slow the culprit will show up in task manager. Once the culprit is identified......

You are only running one Antivirus I hope. Which one. How much physical memory is in the computer. What happens if you use Internet explorer instead of Firefox. Firefox does seem to be a bit of a system hog.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 tjpitts10

tjpitts10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

The only things using the cpu when the computer gets slow are task manager and iexplore. What is taking up the memory are explorer and svhost. It doesn't seem to matter if you're using firefox or internet explorer they both become slow. It takes forever just to change a web page. When you're using either program and trying to go to any web page the status of the program goes from responding to not responding forever then finally changes to where you wanted to go. I am sorry if this is sounding confusing??

Edited by tjpitts10, 02 January 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

I hope you meant svchost and not svhost.

Are you saying that iexplore is running even if you haven't started it?
How many BHOs (Browser helper objects) and toolbars are running? It could be one of them. You could try turning them off and see it if helps. For IE select tools, internet options, Programs, Manage Add-Ons to disable or enable.
Firefox Tools and Add-Ons or "Ctrl + Shift A" and you can disable or remove from there.

For toolbars right click on a blank part of one and uncheck them for testing.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 tjpitts10

tjpitts10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:45 AM

Yes, I did mean svchost.exe sorry for the typo. It's explorer.exe running and not iexplore. I let the computer sit for awhile and there was a script error from the yahoo home page. When I first turned the computer on I just let it boot to the home page and left it there. There have been several script errors. I did a print screen of three of them and can attach if needed. The task manager although system idle is using 98% or so the cpu is running low now. It is still very very slow to respond to commands and in task manager under firefox it will be responding and not responding several times before a web page will change. The audio is also slow and stuttered when you first boot up and you hear the windows chime. There are no extra tool bars running. The are several addons running such as java and silverlight. I'll try disabling them one by one and see if there is a change in performance. This computer has 512 MB of memory.

#9 Linda.Christ

Linda.Christ

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:25 AM

These may be the reason for computer slow down
  • You may load lot of software during start-up
  • You Hard drive space may be nearing to full
  • You would have installed lot of unwanted software

Ways to increase the Computer Speed

• Uninstall unwanted software
  • De-fragment the hard disk in regular interval
  • Update the anti-virus software regularly

If above suggest does not work.... Then Uninstall and reinstall the XP Operating System and increase the hard drive space.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

Have you worked through this stickie?
Slow Computer?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44690.html

Cheers
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users