Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP AntiSpyware 2012 & after removal get "c:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe Application not found"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 DecaAced

DecaAced

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

XP AntiSpyware 2012 & after removal get "c:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe Application not found"

Background:
Went to Fandango web site today & while on that site had a popup in the bottom right of my screen indicating that I had become infected (note, I'm not claiming that it was their website, but only giving it as a description of when/what took place).

MSE became immediately diabled.

A another window popup with the "XP AntiSpyware 2012" and acted as if it was running a Virus scan while finding many virus.

-I turned off the PC.
-Disconnected from Internet cable.
-Rebooted & went into Safe Mode
-tried to run MSE, but it would not appear & remained disabled.
-tried to run Malewarebytes, but it would not appear when I did that the "XP AntiSpyware 2012" window would reappear.
-tried to run Malewarebytes from Safe Mode, but each time the "XP AntiSpyware 2012" window would reappear.
-Downloaded another copy of Malewarebytes from File Hippo to a 2nd laptop
-transfered file to Flash Drive and copied it over to infected PC
-installed that version mbam-setup-1.60.0.1800.exe
-ran the application & performed Virus scan (still not connected to Internet)
-Malewarebytes found & quarantined approximately 5 things (sorry I do not recall)
-I selected to remove those virus
-Malewarebytes stated PC needed to be rebooted for it to take effect
-I rebooted PC
-Had PC come back up into Safe Mode again
-re-ran scan a 2nd time (nothing found)
-I rebooted again into Safe Mode & then removed Malewarebytes (was going to re-download Malwarebytes again and re-install to run the scan again, just to be sure nothing else was found & to make sure the Malewarebytes was not corrupt/messed up again like it was earlier)
-however, upon that reboot & coming up in "normal" boot to Windows XP no exe/application will work
-anytime I click on an icon I get a window that says "Open With" and it gives a list of programs to choose from in order to open it.
-anytime I click on Control Panel & try to go to add/remove a window pops up stating "c:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe Application not found"
-I used my spare laptop to search a few other tech forums (and Microsoft as well) & tried to the following to fix the "rundll32.exe Application not found"
-I tried method ( A ), ( B ), & ( C ) all of which did not work because each time I attempt to do those, the PC responds with "Open With" and it gives a list of programs to choose from in order to open it.

( A )
sfc.exe /scannow

( B )
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

( C )
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
1. Put the Windows XP CD ROM disk in the CD ROM drive.
2. Click Start , and then click Run .
3. ype expand X :\i386\rundll32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe in the Open box, where X is the letter of your CD ROM Drive.
4. Restart the computer

(D) Went to
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and copied the rundll32.exe from there to the
C:\WINDOWS\system32\

....but as stated none of the above steps helped.

* Again, as stated I tried all of the following prior to coming to this site.
* This brings me to the current status of my PC.

1) I've followed the steps to Enable topic reply notification by default
2) I've downloaded DeFogger (but cannot run it due to the problems stated above)
3) I've downloaded DDS Tool
4) I've downloaded GMER Log (but cannot run it due to the problems stated above)
5) I've remained disconnected from the Internet & have not reconnected since this issue happened this morning.

*I am only able to use the DDS Tool. The others do not function since I always get a window asking me to "Open With" and it gives a list of programs to choose from in order to open it.

*I've attached the DDS.txt & attach.txt

Attached Files

Edited by DecaAced, 30 December 2011 - 09:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:05 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:

Posted Image In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.

CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/435434 <<< CLICK THIS LINK

If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.

Posted Image If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:

• If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • A new DDS and GMER log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
    • Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.
    • If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.
    • If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.

Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner.

Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to run GMER and you may skip this step.

Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

#3 DecaAced

DecaAced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:36 AM

as per the "Helpbot" request

---Yes, I still need assistance
---I've taken no further action since posting this thread
---I've kept the problematic PC disconnected from the internet (I still have use of a work laptop)
---The detailed problem description is in the original post
---the DDS is still attached to the original post
---Yes, I have the original Windows CD
---I cannot take any of the other requested actions since I cannot run any executable

Edited by DecaAced, 06 January 2012 - 04:04 AM.

#4 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

Hi,

We ask you to rerun DDS simply because lots of things can have changed since we saw the inital log.

Please download exeHelper to your desktop.
Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
Post the contents of exehelperlog.txt (Will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com, and should open at the end of the scan)
Note: If the window shows a message that says "Error deleting file", please re-run the program before posting a log - and post the two logs together (they will both be in the one file).

Afterwards try running gmer.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 DecaAced

DecaAced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

-I've ran the DDS again and uploaded
-I ran the exehelper & uploaded
-I ran the GMER & uploaded as ark.txt

Attached Files

#6 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,768 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hi,

great, could you know please run ComboFix:
Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop
  • Temporarily disable isable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications. They may otherwise interfere with our tools
    Usually this can be done via a right click on the System Tray icon, check this tutorial for disabling the most common security programs: Link

• Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Posted Image

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it will produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.
ComboFix SHOULD NOT be used unless requested by a forum helper

If you need help, see this link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#7 DecaAced

DecaAced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

As I am going through the steps running ComboFix, on one screen it states: "Note: This requires an active internet connection"

I just want to be sure that you want for me to reconnect my PC back to the internet? Is that correct?

#8 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,768 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

Hi,

if you prefer remaining offline please do the following:

Download the tools needed to a flash drive or other removable media, and transfer them to the infected computer.

Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

**Note: It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**

--------------------------------------------------------------------

With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have the Windows Recovery Console pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal.

The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

Go to Microsoft's website => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

Select the download that's appropriate for your Operating System

Posted Image

Download the file & save it as it's originally named.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Transfer all files you just downloaded, to the desktop of the infected computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools

Posted Image

• Drag the setup package onto ComboFix.exe and drop it.

• Follow the prompts to start ComboFix and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Recovery Console.

Posted Image

• At the next prompt, click 'Yes' to run the full ComboFix scan.

• When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.
Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

regards myrti

#9 DecaAced

DecaAced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

-I reconnected my PC back to the internet
-Ran ComboFix
-attached combofix log

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   15.61KB   4 downloads

#10 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,768 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hi,

this is looking good. How is the PC doing?

1. Close any open browsers.

2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

3. Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

Driver::
ouaao
MpKsl7be18a6b
MpKsl95fb5a50
MpKslc2b3ee35
MpKsldd99b03e
MpKsle691ead1
MpKslec3f26c1
MpKslecaa0d59

Save this as CFScript.txt, in the same location as ComboFix.exe

Posted Image

Refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe

When finished, it shall produce a log for you at C:\ComboFix.txt which I will require in your next reply.

regards myrti

#11 DecaAced

DecaAced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

this is looking good. How is the PC doing?

I have not tried to do anything other than the instructions you have listed for fear/concern that it would mess up these steps.
Did you want for me to try to run applications, games, Internet Explorer, etc....? If so, I will...just let me know.

-dragged the "CFScript.txt" onto the Combofix which started it & ran it
-it had my PC reboot after a few minutes and then logged back into the PC and the ComboFix continued
-it then produceed the following log
-attached the newest Combofix log

Attached Files

#12 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,768 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hi,

yes please try using the PC as you normally would and let me know if you find anything to be missing.

The log is looking good.

regards myrti

#13 DecaAced

DecaAced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

-tested Internet Explorer, initial testing looks to be working fine
-tested a couple of games (each booted up & played briefly)
-went to control panel & add/remove to see if I could (previously it would not work)...it, too, worked
-ran GOM media player, it worked

So far things look to be working again.

Questions:
(1) From the Combofix logs that you looked at, does it now look like there are no virus on my pc?

(2) Do I need to take any further action at this time?

(3) Should I leave Combofix installed or remove?

#14 DecaAced

DecaAced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

Wanted to let you know that I truly appreciate your help.
Sent you a PM as well as donation because your help was appreciated.

#15 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,768 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

Heya DecaAced,

thanks for the PM and the donation! :)

I would like you to run a scan with ESET to ceck for leftovers:
I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Push the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

But I believe the malware to be disabled.

regards myrti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users