Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i7 video crashing? Bad temps?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 I_like_turtles

I_like_turtles

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

Hi!
My new computer has had a few crashes and has me all worried. What has happened is the screen will go a solid color, then flash or flicker to another color. This seems to only be the video as I've been able to get the computer to restart/shut down windows all but the first time it occurred. I updated the bios and intel video drivers and have yet to have it happen again, but in the course of figuring this all out, I used a program called Speedfan and it has raised a few questions.
First off, there is a reading call "SMIOVT4" that has a flame icon next to it and is reading almost twice as high as any other reading. I can't figure out what it's for. The second is only three cores seem to show up(0-2).
Anyone know what I'm looking at? My brain is not strong enough!

Thank you for your time!

System: i7 2600k, intel dz68bc, intel ssd and two sticks of 4gb ram

Edited by I_like_turtles, 30 December 2011 - 08:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

I can answer where to look for the CPU cores. Bring up the Task manager Ctrl + Alt + Del and select task manager and look under the performance tab. It should show 8 cores. 4 physical and 4 HT cores.

I also believe that Intel has a monitoring utility that should give the most accurate results. I would load that one and see what temperatures it shows.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22dz68bc%22
Software Applications then Intel® Desktop Utilities
"Purpose

Installs Intel Desktop Utilities version 3.2.1.042a for Intel Desktop Boards.

Intel® Desktop Utilities is a system monitoring application that is essential for the system user who does not have the support of a large IT department. Intel Desktop Utilities provides you with the means to monitor system temperatures, voltages, fan speeds, and hard drive health; view detailed system information, and test your system hardware for common errors. Intel Desktop Utilities will display and log alerts if system parameters deviate from optimal setting to let users take preventative action."

and / or maybe this Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility

"Purpose

Installs the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility version 2.1 for Extreme Series Intel® Desktop Boards.

The Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility helps you overclock (processor, memory and system clocks) and monitor temperatures, voltages and fan speeds. "

Good Luck & hope this helps

Edited by rotor123, 31 December 2011 - 03:30 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

The SMIOVT sensor is likely for the memory area of the board.

Double-check your airflow and where your fans are blowing.

You might also want to run a few passes of Memtest86+.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:27 PM

possibly I remember a Intel motherboard that always reported a overheat and I traced it back to RDRAM (RamBus)memory temps. Their utility should pin it down if it really is running hot.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users