Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Freezes Momentarily At Desktop Startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eastcoaststylee

eastcoaststylee

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:19 PM

When I start up my computer everything goes smoothly up until the desktop appears... It loads all the icons and everything looks normal and everything and you won't even hear the computer processing anything and anything you double click won't open or anything, until you wait for about a minute then all of a sudden the processor start processing again and then anything you clicked on and didnt pop up pops up. PLEASE HELP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:44 PM

I would say that's typical for any system that has a software firewall operative...at least, it has been for several years with mine (using KPF and (now) NIS).

The firewall is the last "green light" the system seems to get.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:44 AM

I've noticed this problem when the system is searching for network resources (and can't find them).

Are there any network resources that you've used in the past that it may still be looking for?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:43 AM

It may also be loading aps that are running in the background and not completely finished booting.

What do you have loading in your start menu? You may have some aps that are not necessary to start when Windows starts and run in the background taking resources.

A good tool to regulate this is Startup Inspector
http://www.windowsstartup.com/

Startup Monitor, on the same page, will notify you if an installation is attempting to load a program you are installing in startup and give you the choice if you want it to be.

Be careful what you disable though - don't disable anything unless you know what it is, especially your av ap, anti-malware aps, and things necessary to run Windows, and just disable them to start with instead of deleting them. That way if you find you need one you stopped you can just check it and turn it back on again.

Edited by Enthusiast, 10 February 2006 - 02:46 AM.

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:11 PM

I think Enthusiast has the easiest fix. I don't have anything NOT necessary to the computer's health running at start up. I just start all the 3rd party Apps as i need them, and my box boots up rather quickly :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users