Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Test if Hardware is Failing?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 snipersgethead

snipersgethead

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

I am not sure but I think something in my desktop may be malfunctioning. I noticed when I tried to download large files (I'm guessing over 4 GB), it would say completed but when I run the actual setups there are errors or if it's all archived, some of the files would be corrupted. This has happened pretty recently and to about all my downloads. Just now I had a BSOD out of nowhere during a game install saying 'memory_management'. I have also noticed that sometimes the PC won't power on correctly. When I press the power button at times the light just flashes once then dies, and this can go on for awhile until one of the presses is actually successful. I don't know if it's a RAM issue or an HDD issue but what are some simple tests I can run to figure out and report back here?

EDIT: Okay so I just ran the HDD test for my specified brand and it came up with no errors on all tests. I ran the MemTest and it came up with about 8000+ errors after a couple hours. I have two sticks of RAM so is the next step testing each individually one to see which one it is? Will the issue most likely just be the RAM?

Edited by snipersgethead, 30 December 2011 - 05:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

Check each stick separately to pin down the failing memory stick.

If the memory had passed I'd be going in a different direction to see if you have a FAT32 partition with it's 4Gig limit per file size.

The only way to be totally sure it is all memory related is to get rid of the bad memory and see how it behaves. It could be that simple or it could be more involved.

Edited by rotor123, 30 December 2011 - 06:26 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for the reply! I just tested out each stick individually. The first one I took out and tested showed up still more errors on MemTest (I was suspicious that it would still error before I even ran it because the PC didn't turn on during the first press). Then I took out the other and thank goodness, no more errors. Extremely relieved that this was a RAM issue and not something more.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

You still need to do the use testing to be sure.
Is the problem now gone except for running slower now due to less memory?
It does sound like you have found the problem.
BTW for future reference, Once you see any memory error you can stop testing as IMO it has failed. There should be no errors.

I've seen bad memory keep a laptop from turning on at all.

Good Luck for the New Year
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 31 December 2011 - 10:48 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:43 PM

Bad news, just replaced the RAM but now there's another bigger problem. The PC powers on but doesn't boot to anything; nothing comes up on the monitor. I've tried re-seating most of everything. With the power on the fan for the CPU and GPU runs. I did use a bit of compressed air around places to get rid of a lot of dust. Here's the weird thing, when the power is on the HDD and DVD drive light isn't on, just the power light. If I unplug the IDE cable from the mobo though, the DVD drive turns on.

Other than that I'm pretty sure I plugged in the HDD Light, Reset SW, Power Sw, Power LED +, and Power LED - cables in correctly.

Edited by snipersgethead, 31 December 2011 - 11:52 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

Test, Put back the old memory. I believe you said one piece passed.

You didn't manage to get the wrong type of memory and get in into the slot anyway did you?

Are you sure the memory is the right speed and type? Inserted all the way in the slot? Some motherboards will not post with the right type but wrong speed.

I have seen all these.

I fixed a Dell for someone last week, No display etc. When I popped the side one of the memories was slightly out of the slot. Reseated it and Voila it lives.

I also saw someone toast their motherboard putting DDR2 into a DDR slot somehow, since it shouldn't have fit i don't know how they managed, That one no happy ending they ruined the slot and killed the motherboard.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users