Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

missing .ocx files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 c28floyd

c28floyd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:47 PM

Hello, I recently had an issue with security 2011 virus on my brand new panasonic toughbook model cf-31 running windows xp pro x86. I tried all the fixes for the virus/malware that i could find and none worked. I finally resorted to a full hard drive format and re-install of the factory install dvd that came with the computer. I am pretty sure i got rid of the malware but now i have issues with missing files. this laptop is used for mapping software at my employment that runs a gps receiver and provides data in my work vehicle. when i re-installed my mapping software and tried to run it, it will not open the program. it started out giving me an error message stating "comctl32.ocx is missing or not properly registered". i copied the file from another computer and then it popped up giving me the same message for "ssa3d.ocx", i also copied this file from another computer. I am now stuck on the same message for the file "imact33.ocx". i have copied this file from another computer and can't seem to get the computer or the mapping program to recognize the file. all of these files belong in the system32 folder. i have even tried opening the file with the regedit32.exe to register the file and it will not work. i have re-installed visual basics on the laptop as well and no success. anyone having advice would greatly be appreciated!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

Well...did you run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic on the hard drive...before formatting/reinstalling Windows?

If not, I suggest doing so.

Louis

#3 c28floyd

c28floyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

Louis, I am not quite sure how to do that on my panasonic toughbook. My windows repair cd will not execute any files while in windows and it has been a while since I have had computer problems and have let a lot of my computer knowledge skip my mind. I don't recall how to run a disk check!!!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

Not a "disk check", a "diagnostic".

The Windows chkdsk /r command is what most think of as a "disk check", I don't want that.

The appropriate hard drive diagnostic...is avaiable for download (with instructions) from the website of the hard drive manufacturer.

To find out the manufacturer of your hard drive...go to Device Manager, click on Disk Drives...use Google to see who manufacturer is, if not obvious.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

If a long and a short test are offered on the diagnostic...run the long test.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users