Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error message

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

I was getting this error, and am curious as to what it means:
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Series v1.24 (10/07/10)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Existing PXE ROM.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

I have a Dell 15R, windows 7 home premium.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

When are you getting said error?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

it would happen at boot up. it doesn't happen anymore, but i am curious as to what was causing it.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

Normal reason for that message is the boot order in the bios is set to boot off of the Ethernet cable first or if the Ethernet wasn't first and the computer could not find a bootable device such as a missing hard drive.

To avoid that you can press F2 when the Dell logo appears and remove the Ethernet from the boot order.

Did you make any changes in the bios settings when before that appeared? If not I would check the hard drive by Pressing F12 for the boot device screen and selecting the Dell Diagnostic partition and running the hard drive tests from there.

I would also back up anything I'd hate to have go away.

Edited by rotor123, 30 December 2011 - 06:32 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

Additionally...

That return to trying to boot from network...can also indicate a weakening CMOS battery. It happened with a system I previously had, replacing the battery solved it.

Louis

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

Lucky that with Dell you can download the service manual making changing the battery a snap also.

Lenovo and HP usually you can get the service manuals too. Toshiba they keep them in a ASP section, One small strike.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users