Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to try Ubuntu (but I'm stuck before I start !).

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 michael-m

michael-m

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:32 AM

I've decided to try Ubuntu.

So I've gone to the download page: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

I've started the download - which strikes me as strange straight away as I'm given the option to save, but I don't know where I'm saving it to.

The download has finished - but I can't go to step 2 (create CD or bootable usb stick).

Any advice? (even if it's go somewhere else and try a different version).

Thanks.

Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:59 AM

Look for the downloaded file in My Documents>Downloads and it is a .iso file
then go back to the page that you have the link to and read step 2. and follow
the prompts.

Edited by Ramchu, 30 December 2011 - 09:03 AM.

#3 michael-m

michael-m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:59 AM

Look for the downloaded file in My Documents>Downloads and it is a .iso file
then go back to the page that you have the link to and read step 2. and follow
the prompts.

Aha there it is - there THEY are, all 3 downloads(I did try before posting !).

before I continue...

My PC has an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 4200+

Will I be allright to run the 32 bit (recommended) version of Ubuntu or am I just setting myself up for more problems later?

Thanks.

Michael

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

After you have burned the .iso to a CD you should first run Ubuntu as live first to see if it is compatible with your
computer and YOU. It will run slower than installed but is definitely the best thing to do.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

The 32 bit version should be OK with 64 bit system.

#6 michael-m

michael-m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

It runs :hysterical:

I'm here via my Ubuntu disc.

What would happen now if I was to install it? Will it overwrite Windows XP? or will it guide idiot like through creating a partition, putting a delay in the boot sequence so that I can select Windows/Ubuntu.

So many questions...

Do I need a firewall? Have I got one? Do I need anti virus? Is there an equivalent of Control panel/system etc so that I can @read@ my pc ? And that's just to start!

Off to try the office documents now to see how compatible they are with MS Office.

Michael

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

Be sure to defrag and run the windows cleanup utility or a program such as Ccleaner before attempting

to install Ubuntu as a dual boot with XP.

Automatic partition resizing (recommended)

• Choose the first option, which should say "Install them side by side, choosing between them each startup".
  • Specify the size of the new partition by dragging the slider at the bottom of the window.
  • Click on "Forward".
  • Continue on to Finishing Ubuntu Installation (just scroll down to see images of the GUI for installing...a picture is worth a 1,000 words)

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Tim the Wizard

Tim the Wizard

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

Also if you want to just try Ubuntu but dont want to have to worry about fixing your boot later you can use Wubi. It allows a side-by-side Ubuntu+Windows installation and you can remove it right from the Add/Remove programs panel. You can also pick up Unetbootin and download a copy to a flash drive for a live installation. Good luck!

#9 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

Also have a look round your local major news agent, there is what they call a magbook out called "Linux, the complete manual" it comes complete with a disc of Ubuntu 11.04 which is actually a 64bit version. A tremendous amount of good info in that magbook too, I picked one up just before Christmas.
Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#10 michael-m

michael-m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:10 AM

Now up and running with Ubuntu - wish I'd done it sooner.

#11 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:25 AM

michael-m, Happy New Year and congrats on getting Ubuntu installed & running.

Been thinking about doing the same on another (older) tower I've got just to see it in action.

When you say 'wish I'd done it sooner' << what is it (at least initially) that's impressing you and, if you don't mind, what drove you to wanting to install it in the first place?
Tired of Windows, just yearning for something new, wanted to see what the fuss was all about?

Any feedback you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#12 michael-m

michael-m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

michael-m, Happy New Year and congrats on getting Ubuntu installed & running.

Been thinking about doing the same on another (older) tower I've got just to see it in action.

When you say 'wish I'd done it sooner' << what is it (at least initially) that's impressing you and, if you don't mind, what drove you to wanting to install it in the first place?
Tired of Windows, just yearning for something new, wanted to see what the fuss was all about?

It's very intuitive to me as a long time Windows user.That may not be to everyone's taste, but as someone who hasn't taken much interest in computers in the past, I was apprehensive about trying to switch to Linux. There's the old image of Linux only being suitable for PC experts. As things stand, I'm still using the pc very much the same way as I always have - though I am reading up on using the terminal.

I've been putting off and putting off buying a new version of office (using 2003). Libre Office which came bundled with it is exactly like using MS Office - but now I don't have to ask people to re-save documents as 2003 doc and send it again!

My main motivation in changing though was that over the past 12-18 months, I've had to take my PC in to the local shop on three occasions to solve a virus problem - two were using AVG, one was MSE. It's not as though I'm a totally irresponsible user - I don't open unknown attachments, use cracked software/p2p or "dodgy" sites. Maybe I was just unlucky ! The last time was the final straw, and I decided to take a more active interest in my computer.

Any feedback you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Onward,

Winterland

I set it up as a dual boot system. After installation, I didn't seem to have the choice of choosing LInux or Windows - only Linux. To solve this I needed to install "Startup Manager" using the "Ubuntu Software Center". I then had to set the Boot Loader to the same resolution as the screen. See here

Other than that, it wasn't as difficult or as scary as I'd imagined.

Give it a go - if you don't like it, you can always remove it and try something else!

Michael

#13 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

Now up and running with Ubuntu - wish I'd done it sooner.

Glad it's going well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users