Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive needs format

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mj2000

mj2000

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:42 AM

Hi all.

I have had no problem with my external hard drive, but recently its not beeing recognized and needs formating :

Posted Image

When i right click on it, a window opens and says it should be formatted. but i have data on it and can t. when i cancel the window, this messeage come :

Posted Image

it is not also recognized in kaspersky or tune up, so that i could scan it for viruses or perform a check disc with them.

It is not recognized also in my computer with the name that i had given to it and just as a local disc appeares.

I have tried on two systems with both 7 and xp os , but still no go.

Thanks for the Help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:25 AM

Hi,

Can you get at the drive in the enclosure?

If so - take it out and re-seat it on the connections.

If you have another drive try that in the enclosure to determine if it is the drive or the enclosure.

If you can take the drive out you could try adding it as a slave direct to the motherboard of a working pc.
This will eliminate the enclosure from the equation.

#3 mj2000

mj2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:28 AM

Problem solved by performing a check disc, using the program ease us partition master

Thanks !

#4 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Good to know you got it fixed :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users