Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changed Monitor Resolution, Now The Display Is All White

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lapoint mom

Lapoint mom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:35 PM

:thumbsup: I'm lost! I have little knowledge about computers. However, I moved my home computer from one room to another and noticed that the display was a little off skilter when I got it up and running again. I went in to Start, Control panel, display and screen resolution. I slid that little arrow all the way to the right and when I clicked apply (or whatever), the screen went all white and it has lots of white noise. I can see the "ghost" of screens but I can't really see to do anything. Have I ruined my monitor? will buying a new monitor take care of the problem? I' really don't know how to get it taken care of. Thanks for any input!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:55 PM

Don't panic :thumbsup: Is it Windows XP? Turn your computer off, (unplug it or keep power button pressed); turn it on again; immediately after the POST (the very first messages you see on screen after power-on) press F8 key repeatedly, until a list of options appear; choose the one that says "VGA mode" (can't remember the exact words); once Windows finish loading, your screen will be configured at minimum resolution and you can choose the right resolution or let Windows apply the best by itself.

If you have Windows 98 or ME, select the "Safe mode" option from the list after pressing F8 key, once Windows has loaded; go to screen properties, it must be configured to 640X480 at 16 colors; click on "Apply"; you'll see a warning about changes taking effect upon restart; accept and restart. When Windows has restarted, change resolution and color depth again (you'll have to do it twice: one for color and another for resolution).

Good luck.

#3 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:40 AM

Cyclica has this one absolutely right. Just keep this in mind next time you go changing your display properties. Don't go overboard with your adjustments and you should have much more success.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#4 lsh_dfw

lsh_dfw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:26 AM

Okay, we have done the same thing that you did but now the monitor is total blank. No screen at all, so does anyone have a solution for that? I have tried everything! :thumbsup:

#5 lsh_dfw

lsh_dfw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:59 AM

Okay, this has happened to us also but on ours the monitor is completely blank. When try to power up the comp you can hear the windows theme and it seems to be starting fine but that is only a guess as the monitor never does anything. What do you do for this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users