Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixing/Upgrading Cooling Fan in Acer Aspire 5920

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Luckysam28

Luckysam28

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:53 AM

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire 5920-6470 and a problem with my laptop's cooling fan. The laptop gets hot very easily and the cooling fan is only able to barely push out hot air. It also is very loud and interferes with video calling, etc. I have tried to clean it out with light puffs of compressed air, and it removes some dust, but the problem stands.

Is there a way to fix my cooling fan to either:
1)Cool my laptop more effectively so that it doesn't need to enable it's loud, high-fan setting
2)cool my laptop quietly

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much

Edited by hamluis, 01 January 2012 - 07:07 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:28 AM

To effectively clean out the cooler, you would have to take apart the laptop and clean the dust out and apply a fresh layer of thermal paste which would make the laptop cooler and possibly make the fan spin quieter.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

To summarize the problem is that the heat sink is blocked and since the laptop is running hot, the CPU fan is racing and making noise which will go away once the heatsink is cleaned.

I have pulled out heatsinks to clean that have a 1/8" or more of think lint blocking the airflow in laptops.

The fan races and makes a lot of noise trying to cool but the airflow is minimal when that has happened.

This is a Russian site with the English service manual for the Aspire 5920G, It is probably safe since it is referenced from a site I do use to find manuals
http://www.intellcity.ru/content-2/service-manual-notebook-Acer/service-manual-Acer-Aspire-5920G.pdf

It has a disassembly section and what you would need to do is follow all the precautions in the manual.

If you are feeling brave and are not inept with a screwdriver.

This is a easy one, lucky you.

Before You Begin
Before proceeding with the disassembly procedure, make sure that you do the following:
1. Turn off the power to the system and all peripherals.
2. Unplug the AC adapter and all power and signal cables from the system.
3. Remove the battery pack.

find this section in the disassembly instructions.
Removing the HDD Modules/ODD Module/Memory/Wireless LAN Card/VGA
Board/Thermal Module and the LCD Module
Only remove the bottom cover and you should see the FAN.

See if you can get the fan out without disturbing anything else. Be careful with the fan power cable. Clean the dust out and put it back together and it should be quiet and cool.

Also don't remove or loosen the heatsink and you should not have to renew the thermal compound and try to avoid removing the video card. The fan usually has only two screws holding it in.

Be careful with Static electricity to avoid damage to the laptop electronics. If you can do the work by a water pipe / faucet or radiator where you can ground yourself before and during that would be advisable.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this Think if you know anyone that does this kind of work.

Edited by rotor123, 31 December 2011 - 09:58 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

To effectively clean out the cooler, you would have to take apart the laptop and clean the dust out and apply a fresh layer of thermal paste which would make the laptop cooler and possibly make the fan spin quieter.

Looks like he's lucky, I was able to find the manual and post a link. Also this one looks really easy compared to some. This one should be able to get by removing only the fan itself and not have to disturb the CPU heatsink.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

Wished that they would do that to all laptops. I've done it before on my cousins overheating Acer laptop which was a success. My dad's Lenovo can be easily be cleaned as it also has direct access to the cpu cooler.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Shawnster25

Shawnster25

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:53 PM

well mine had a 1.6 ghz cpu and i upgraded it to a T7500 2.2 ghz and reapplied thermal paste and put a new fan in it.  it went from 85 degrees Celsius to low 70's so then i went into windows power settings and set the maximum cpu usage to 80% while plugged in and 50% while on battery to make the battery last longer.  but plugged in at 80% my T7500 is now running in the mid 50's  which is acceptable for me.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users