Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iexplore.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TLOSpyrogirl

TLOSpyrogirl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:16 PM

I was browsing on the site fanfiction.net. I've been on this site for over a year with little problem. But, when I went to go into my account, the 'download' bar appeared at the bottom of the screen. It stated this:
iexplore.exe This type of file can harm your computer. Do you want to keep iexplore.exe anyway?
There were the buttons saying 'Keep' and 'Discard'. There was also an 'x' in the corner. I clicked that.

After talking to some friend and researching the file, I've realized that, yes, iexplore.exe is a virus. But I've had some conflicting answers—some say iexplore.exe is actually Internet Explorer itself. Now, when I looked up that, it was stated that removing Internet Explorer would cause the operating system to cease running. Now I am extremely frightened to discard that file. Although I've uninstalled Norton before, which came with the system, I believe—bad idea, I was forced to run CHKDSK, although my computer is fine now and the operating system works fine—I'm just not sure what would happen.

I cannot find the file using search or through the 'Downloads' folder, but hitting 'ctrl+J' and going to the Chrome downloads page shows it. Here's a screenshot.
http://oi44.tinypic.com/20fz609.jpg (Linked, as it's very big.)

I am running a Windows Vista laptop, of the Toshiba brand. It has been infected and successfully fixed without wiping twice before, once by Vista Total Security 2011 (via DeviantArt), and once by MS Antivirus (via Wikia). I don't know much else about it. If it helps at all, there's a sticker on the laptop saying 'AMD Athlon X2 64' and 'ATI AADEON'.
I haven't used Internet Explorer in a long time, although when I open it now, it runs fine. I was on Google Chrome when this—whatever it is, tried to install itself. I did not download anything, and I have Ad Block Plus enabled, so I have no idea how this managed to happen. That's what's confusing me—if it's a trojan, I did not download anything, and if it's a backdoor, it should have aggressively downloaded itself without my consent or knowledge.

I've run a quick scan with Microsoft Security Essentials (I can't run a full scan, as this computer overheats and simply cannot handle it, and MSE does not have the ability to pause during a scan unlike MalwareBytes), and nothing was detected. I have not shut down yet and the computer has been running fine for hours.

I apologize if this isn't even a virus at all (I know a little about computers, although I'm a tad bit slow when it comes to these things), but I still would like to know whether I keep or discard the file, and what, exactly, it is. And if it DOES happen to be a virus, would simply discarding it make it go away? If not, would the traditional 'enter safe mode with networking and scan' fix work here, or would something more complicated be needed? Quite basically, Am I Infected?

Finally, one last thing. If it helps, the only thing in the 'Processes' tab reached via Task Manager that I've found that looks even like iexplore.exe is a file called 'explorer.exe', and it's taking up about 11,000 K.

Thank you, again.

EDIT: Okay, so I exited out of my browser. Now the download is gone and I cannot find it. What now?

Edited by TLOSpyrogirl, 30 December 2011 - 12:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 50crckt51

50crckt51

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:02 AM

Rest easy, iexplore is indeed a legitimate Windows executable. If you open the Task Manager while Internet Explorer is running you will of course see it in the Running Processes list.

Chrome was playing dirty pool!

Edited by 50crckt51, 30 December 2011 - 02:06 AM.

Don't worry - SMOKE dissipates !!!

#3 TLOSpyrogirl

TLOSpyrogirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:06 PM

Yes. Last night I restarted—nothing was wrong. Today I opened the computer... again, nothing. Microsoft Security Essentials opened fine. Nothing on my computer was added or deleted. I'm not getting redirected via google, hearing strange audio ads, and task manager had no new or strange processes in it. Oddly enough, though, when I check my processes WHILE IE is running, there are two iexplore.exe processes, and one takes up more K than the other. When I close IE, though, they both disappear.
I suppose there was nothing to be worried about after all, just me being paranoid. Sorry for the bother, heh. This can be locked/deleted/etc now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users