Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When I restart, it still goes to the black screen with the dash for like 3 full minutes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 virusesmustdie

virusesmustdie

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

I just recently rid my laptop of viruses with the help of boopme. However, I'm having some issues when starting it up. 3 things will either happen:
1)Stay stuck at the "Compaq" screen
2)Go passed the "Compaq" screen but then to a black screen with a blinking dash at the top left corner (If I wait long enough, like 3 long minutes, Windows 7 will eventually start up.)
3)Or go passed the "Compaq" screen, to the black screen with dash, but eventually instead of starting up, it will say something like "Operating system not found"

Edited by hamluis, 06 January 2012 - 06:06 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 virusesmustdie

virusesmustdie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Compaq Presario F700

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:27 AM

I remember reading your post when you first posted a week ago, and not replying at the time because I didn't have any idea about what might be causing the problem, so let's have a look and see if we can come up with an answer and possibly a solution too.

Step 1: Please disconnect and remove all external devices attached to the laptop (with the exception of mouse and keyboard if you use these connected externally via USB).

Step 2: Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.

This is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.
Step 3: Enter the BIOS Setup Menu.

Reference: User Manual http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295900.pdf

To start the Setup Utility:
1. Turn on or restart the computer.
2. Before Windows opens and while “Press <F10> to enter setup” is displayed in the lower-left corner
of the screen, press F10.

:step1: Please report what you see as the boot order:

System Configuration menu > Boot options > Boot order

:step2: Please test the hard drive from the Diagnostics menu:

Select Hard Disk Self Test to run a comprehensive self-test on the hard drive.
NOTE: On models with two hard drives, this menu option is called the Primary Hard Disk Self Test.

• If you have a second hard drive, then please test that too.

If there is any problem indicated when testing the hard drive(s), then please proceed to complete Step 4.

Step 4: Test the hard drive. If you tell us the hard drive manufacturer's name (brand name) and model we can point you to the most appropriate diagnostic utility to use. It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working).The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

When you can, include the make and model number of the hard drive(s). If you do choose to use SeaTools, you will see the model number (and maybe the make) when SeaTools first detects the hard drive(s).
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 virusesmustdie

virusesmustdie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

I'm sorry but there's a new problem. My little brother just used my computer and I have no idea what he was doing but it was just infected with the Windows Home Security 2012 virus. I ran Malwarebytes and got rid of it but I'm still infected....

Also, if I rid my laptop of viruses, is there any way to make it more protected? It's like any site can give me a virus.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

I think perhaps while the computer is still working, the best thing for you to do would be to get some expert assistance from the Malware Removal Team. Please follow the instructions in the
Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

When you have done that, post your log in the "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum", NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team experts.

They will also be best able to answer your query "if I rid my laptop of viruses, is there any way to make it more protected?".

Please let us know, here, if you have been able to successfully start your new topic.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users