Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop Error Message

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 terilee

terilee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

This is my first post and I hope I can explain the problem I'm having so that you will understand it.

This morning I turned on my desktop computer (Dell - Windows XP Home Edition) and went to Control Panel > User Accounts and deleted my password. Reason why is a moot point. I then turned off the computer and turned it back on at which point a blue screen came up that said:

"A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

"If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

"Check to be sure you have adequate disc space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

"Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. You need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components. Restart your computer, press F8 to select Advance Startup options and then select Safe Mode.

"Technical information:
***STOP: 0X0000007E (OXC0000005, 0X8998F988, 0XBA513BE8, 0XBA5138E4)

"Beginning dump of physical memory.
"Physical memory dump complete.
"Contact systems administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

At this point I tried to restart the computer. Same screen came up. I then tried to start in Safe Mode. Same screen came up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Terilee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:52 PM

Hi and welcome Terilee
Microsoft support for STOP: 0X0000007E
Read and try this first -

Thank You -

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:21 AM

Try the following ...
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration", and press the <ENTER> key.
  • The computer will attempt to load Windows.
  • If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for at least 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.
Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.
EXAMPLE OF A CASE IN POINT: Why 10 times?
christiedell ... "L K G C worked on try 5!"
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic267221.html
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users