Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC seems strange CMOS checksum error?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dissension

Dissension

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

Having problems with a Acer T120.

I found a vga dell lcd monitor that looked okay on the curb. So, I took it home and plug it in, it seemed okay, so I attached it to the downstairs pc. When powered on, no image. Monitor will turn on then it has this weird blue line on the very top. I swapped the monitors and the acer monitor would do the SAME thing. Nothing on the screen but a blue line on top.

I bought a new vga cable, that was not the issue. So, all I can think of was to buy a low profile video card. Mostly because I dunno what else to do. The monitor is connected to the video card and it works kind of. Some issues came up with the "installed" video card.

This is the video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125346

On post, everything was enlarged and cut off but I could see the screen. I tried installing the drivers for the video card and it would not yet me. It said I needed Admin. rights. This is for Windows XP and their is only 1 account to the computer. But I can SEE something on the screen so that's important. I think swapping the vga cable broke the video port on the mobo. I thought it was okay because I had both monitors plugged in to the surge protector. I first had the VGA cable attached to the dell monitor then removed it and tried putting it on to the acer monitor.

It's okay now, but it seems slower in performance. Also this came up:

CMOS checksum error
Warning! Now system is in SAFE MODE. Please re-setting CPU Frequency in the CMOS setup? F1 to continue to SAFE MODE.

After hitting F1 windows loads. It's working like usual but it feels off? Not very specific issue, but it is slower than usual.

Can someone help me understand what is wrong? I am unfamiliar to CMOS andI do not know why I cannot install the video card drivers?

Also it says on startup New Hardware detected. Now this seems strange "HD Audio"?

Thank you in Advance.

Edited by Dissension, 29 December 2011 - 09:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

For the CMOS checksum error, i would replace the CMOS battery as it could be going out. Here is guide on how you would do it. After replacing the CMOS battery and hopefully windows boots properly, i would update all your drivers.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:42 PM

I would reset the CMOS, perhaps replace the battery like killer suggested, but more importantly, I would try the old monitor on the computer. There could be a very good reason that monitor was on the curb in the first place, there could be a short in it which may cause some of the issues you are having.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Dissension

Dissension
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

Yeah, the monitor did something to the mobo vga. With the video card the monitor I have works again via vga. I'm putting the one I found to the curb. Or make something out of it.

Just a battery change is welcomed. I will try that.

But what about the admin rights? That is odd and why "hd audio"? I'm trying to install a video card.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

The monitor likely has a short, which drew to much power from the onboard video which is what caused the damage. As far as the HD audio, your video card comes with an onboard high defintion sound card, to allow you to stream both video signal and sound throught the HDMI port. Virtually all modern video cards have this feature.

For your checksum error, Try going into your BIOS (usually the f12 or del key on startup) choose load fail safe defaults, then exit and save changes. If that doesnt fix the problem, go ahead and change out your CMOS battery, their fairly easy to replace, just remove the old one and either write down the part number or bring it to your local computer shop/watch shop/wal-mart and find a matching one.

As for the administrator account, there is still one though it may be hidden. You can access it (assumimg its not password protected or you have the password) by pressing f8 on startup, and going into safe mode, on the login screen for safe mode, administrator should appear. Go into administrator and follow these steps:

•Right-click on My Computer

•Click on Manage

•Expand Local Users and Groups

•Click on Groups

•Double click on Administrators

•Click on Add

•Enter the account name on this machine that you want to assign administrative privileges to.

•OK your way back out.

Then reboot your machine normally, and see if that fixes the problem.

Edited by the_patriot11, 02 January 2012 - 10:07 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 Dissension

Dissension
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

I do not see that listed?

This is a non admin account. Only account on computer. •Expand Local Users and Groups is hidden from me.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

are you booting in safe mode?

picard5.jpg

#8 Dissension

Dissension
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

oops.

Hm... I cannot boot in to safe mode at all via f8?

There is an option of f12 and del. pressing those repeadely as well does nothing?????????

i never had problems add or installing anything. So odd.

For the battery I just replace it nothing else? The computer was beeping for no reason awhile ago.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

Well, theres always the ol fail safe, wait until windows is booting (you see that loading screen) and pull the power plug, windows should give you a boot menu that gives you the option of safe mode on the next boot. As far as the CMOS battery, yes all that should be involved in that regards is replacing the battery-which is normally about 5 bucks.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users