Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Graphics Cards

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 C Buck

C Buck

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

Hello, I'm new here! I recently installed a game on my computer, and after playing the game for a while, the game froze up and I saw the message that the game had encountered a problem and needed to close. Basically, what's happening is that my graphics card can't handle the game. It's rather graphics intensive!

I'm running a HP computer, Media Center edition running Windows XP, SP3. The model number of the computer is a1224n. It's never had any hardware upgrades.

When I installed the game, it ran a hardware scan and told me that my computer met minimum system requirements, but didn't meet the recommended requirements, with regard to my graphics card. It says I need to be be running at least a NVidia GeForce 2 or better card. I am told there are multiple styles of slots, and there's no way of knowing short of pulling out the card I already have and checking it out. I am not all that tech savvy; typing is about all I get into when it comes to computers. I know the game won't run on it as it is...

I need to find out how to go about upgrading my video/graphics card to something that can run my game. I don't play games a lot, but when I find one I like, I like to be able to play without being kicked out at the same point.

Thanks,

C Buck

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

Hi C Buck and Welcome -
Please post a snapshot with Speccy -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy
This will help us check your installed graphics card for you -

Thank You -

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,206 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

Your options will be limited, the mainboard in that system has only PCI expansion slots, no AGP, e.g:

http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=861

(Note: above random result for examples only, not a recommendation.)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00487776&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1140029

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c00361570#N416

Almost any recent video chipset should exceed GeForce 2 specifications, but the PCI slot limits bandwidth, so a high-spec card is not appropriate anyway.

When you post a speccy report we can check and confirm if you are currently using the onboard video (likely) or if there is a video card fitted already.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 C Buck

C Buck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Jyw68oWIxN7IzRHkxAProD6

Here's the screenshot report. Takes a while for me to get everything downloaded and installed and run, but here it is.

Thanks for the advice and the help!

C Buck

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:38 AM

The graphics is onbard graphics. There is PCI graphics card but you would need a power supply upgrade too.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,206 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:41 AM

Actually I doubt if there'd be a power supply problem, looks like the PSU specification is 250W, and a slot-powered PCI card can draw 25W maximum.

Edited by Platypus, 30 December 2011 - 03:41 AM.

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:06 AM

just learning new things about gpu myself, but the thing gamers look at is memory bandwidth and frames/second. i think. of course power supply demand from the gpu is important also. most contemporary gpu are configured for unlimited installation width, but some pc's only accommodate the slim variety (no wider that the outside interface width), but the high end gaming gpu's are wider than the slim slot. hell, the best ones are water cooled and over $800. last i heard this topic is worthy looking up the reviews, gamers love reviews.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:39 AM

The graphics card i had in mind is this and if you look at the site, it says the minimum system power requirement is 350W.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,206 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:57 AM

That card looks like a good potential choice, especially as its maximum power draw is 19W (6.8W idle).

It's reasonable for the manufacturer to specify 350W as a minimum PSU to allow for any possible combination of other hardware. They have to be conservative and cover themselves in case someone uses this card in a system that does in fact draw that much power.

In C Buck's situation, we know the computer is standard, with an 84W TDP Prescott CPU, one hard drive etc. It probably won't top 150W with everything going flat chat. So I think it's pretty certain adding the <25W won't be a problem. If it was, other PCI devices could not be added either (3 x PCI slots @ up to 25W each = up to extra 75W) without upgrading the PSU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users