Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GA-K8NMF-9 and HD 6770 Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Crink

Captain Crink

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

Does anyone know if there is a compatibility issue with a Gigabyte K8NMF-9 MB and an XFX HD 6770 graphics card? I suspect there is! This MB won't run a 5770 gfx card either (similar chip to the 6770 I believe). Have tried two PSUs including a 430W and a brand new 500W OCZ job - no difference. The 6770 runs fine in a different machine, so the card is fine. Symptom is that POST does not complete - no beeps and monitor is complaining of no input. Do I need a new MB?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 revolution122

revolution122

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

Is it an ATI chipset? Typically if the motherboard is older it may have the PCIe slot but might not support the graphics chipset.

In this case yes, you will need to buy a new motherboard, I recommend an ASUS brand.

In the future, I would not recommend the ATI chipset for graphics cards, it has some driver compatibility issues with the CPU.

Let me know if that helps out!

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:08 AM

and a brand new 500W OCZ job - no difference

OCZ isn't all that great. They have a couple of OEMs, some who make low quality PSUs. The top brands are: Corsair, XFX and of course, Seasonic

The 6770 runs fine in a different machine, so the card is fine.

And did that machine have a different PSU?

More than wattage, you need to look at its +12v rating. The HD6770 needs at least 25Amps on the +12v rail (single rail).

I would not recommend the ATI chipset for graphics cards, it has some driver compatibility issues with the CPU.

Huh? The basis of your comment please?

Edited by ReviverSoft, 02 January 2012 - 07:10 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 revolution122

revolution122

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

I would not recommend the ATI chipset for graphics cards, it has some driver compatibility issues with the CPU.

Huh? The basis of your comment please?

Some personal experience as well as talking with others who have custom built machines with ATI cards. The one that I built always blue screened at startup and it turns out it was directx 10 wasn't communicating with the graphics card properly. Switched to NVIDIA and it worked beautifully.

#5 Captain Crink

Captain Crink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the replies. Both power supplies are holding the 12V rail steady, so I don't believe it's a PSU issue.

I suspect the nForce4 4x chipset is where the incompatibility lies - an enquiry to Gigabyte might resolve this. I have seen another enquiry on a German forum with the same symptom - no answer there!

revolution122 - i don't quite understand your comment about ATI - what CPU is it not compatible with? I have an ATI card in this machine and it works fine - never had an issue with it.

I have ordered a new MB - Asrock which uses the same chipset as this machine - I think this will be fine. I'll report back.

#6 revolution122

revolution122

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

revolution122 - i don't quite understand your comment about ATI - what CPU is it not compatible with? I have an ATI card in this machine and it works fine - never had an issue with it.

I ran into troubles with an AMD Phenom quad core processor. Although it may have just been directX that kept crashing at startup.

#7 Captain Crink

Captain Crink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

All working now with Asrock MB!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users