Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WHITE SCREEN Problem when Booting?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Silv3r

Silv3r

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

Computer boots up with white screen! Please help!
I'm 99% sure this is a virus. I was STUPID and accidentally installed something.
Here's the story:
1) I was trying to watch a video, not on youtube.
2) I ended up on "megavidmovie.com" or something like that. I hadn't read it thoroughly and thought it was MegaVideo.
3) I clicked on play and it opened another window, where it said I needed a plugin.
4) Like an idiot, I clicked on it, of course.
5) It started downloading "xvid," but it OBVIOUSLY wasn't XVid. It also said to install these other add-on things.
6) I REALIZED IT WAS A SCAM. The entire webpage was basically a photo.... Uhg.
7) I opened task manager and closed the installation, which I didn't even know had started.
8) I pretty much knew it already installed some 'stuff' on my computer and went on to Malwarebytes, to do a scan.
9) EXCEPT, Malwarebyes needed an update. So I got the update. Which you need to restart at the end to use it.
10) I clicked 'restart later', and continued using my computer normally for a while. It worked totally fine.
11) After a while I was worried and decided it was time to restart and scan. I closed everything I had open and chose Restart. When I did, though, it said something was still running and prevented it from shutting down. I don't know if that was because of the virus or because I clicked restart twice or something....
12) Anyways, it just shut down and then booted backup.
13) It DID show me the log-in screen. I logged into my account.
14) BUT it never showed ANY of my desktop.
WHITE
SCREEN
~~~I even waited a while and restarted. I can't run my anti-virus, because it won't let me do anything. I have been trying to find something to help. I saw something about how running in "safe-mode" might let you load your desktop.... I'm sorry, but I don't really know anything about safe-mode. If I use it, would it let me run my anti-virus? What if it doesn't even find any viruses? I saw that problem, too.... I can't get a new computer or spend money on this.
But I REALLY need help. This is so.... depressing! :P
So, pleaseee. How can I solve this? I already had a big virus problem...
THANKS so much.

Edited by hamluis, 30 December 2011 - 04:35 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:56 AM

Hi,

You are probably best advised to post this in the Malware Removal Forum.
The security experts there will be able to advise you.

As for Safe Mode:
Switch on and constantly tap F8 about once per second.
You will get a list of options - Safe Mode is one of them.
If it does boot up the graphics will look a little odd due to minimal drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users