Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How'd you all join BC?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

Hey guys just kinda curious how everyone found out about BC. My first experience was New Years Eve 2004 - 2005 (I believe) and joined the IRC chat looking for help on one of my MS-DOS systems. Took part in the chat off an on and have been a regular user since September of '05.

How about all of you?
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

I started out at looking for a solution to a problem to a computer issue I was having, actually started at another forum (wont mention it) and while I was waiting for a reply, I replied to another post concerning a recomendation for a graphics card (I recomended one I liked) and not only did the local staff pretty much treat me like I was stupid in that post, (apparently, in that forum if you wernt a intel/nvidia fanboy you knew nothing about computers) I never did get an answer to my original question (which I cant remember what it was) so I googled it, and found BC, who not only solved my computer problem but were far friendlier and more welcoming, so I hung around. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

I arrived on scene on December 5, 2005 (more than six years ago :o ) I wanted to re-partition my hard drive, and wanted to know how to do it without wiping (interesting note: four years later I wrote BC's tutorial on using GParted to resize partitions, so obviously I figured it out at some point.)

I arrived from Google and never expected to stick around, which is why I picked an absurd display name ("Amazing Andrew", "Andrew" was taken at the time) and didn't care. I was stuck with that name for four long years until Grinler agreed to let me usurp the coveted name I now use.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

My first post. I was having issues with Fedora 4 failing to boot. Jan. 25, 2006

How things have changed since then.

Needy you're about as "regular" as me around here.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 29 December 2011 - 04:44 PM.

Posted Image

#5 need TOS

need TOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

xD true true. But I meant more IRC then forums :P And I never noticed that your nick changed from Amazing Andrew lol things have changed alot since then
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

When I had an issue I was trying to solve searches almost always led me to Bleeping Computer. I found many solutions which enabled me to solve the problems I had.

After I joined BC, I made an intro post, then had a question about something to do with replacing the CMOS battery.

My 3rd post here was the REAL reason I joined. I had an ulterior motive-I had a message I wanted to get out to as many people as possible. That message is just as valid today as it was in Feb. 2007.

I never expected to stick around. I'm glad I did because I enjoy helping others and encouraging them to try things they may be afraid to try.

Like the_patriot11 I signed up at another forum first. It did not seem like the perfect fit for me, so I tried BC, which turned out to be perfect for me.

I figured if Animal (at the time I joined I had no clue he was involved at BC), who I "met" at another forum, was here it had to be a good place to call home.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 December 2011 - 05:06 PM.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

Years ago I was also at another forum for a long time.
I stumbled across BC one time when researchng a problem I was working on.
To me BC had better and more reliable information and the people are nicer so I have now been here for 5+ years.

At some point somebody drafted me and I have been an Advisor ever since.
Time flies whe you are having fun!

I try to read a little out here every day and also didnt notice Andrew's name change until you pointed it out.
I do remember that his avatar was this silly looking yellow cartoonish character with big round glasses.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

One word.... Portals.... :P

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

Has someone been messing around with the BC teleporter again?
More people keep materializing here every day!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

I found BC years ago -- got some answers to some simple questions.

And then, I got nailed with a truly impressive malware attack. The folks at BC helped me get my computer disinfected and suggested ways to keep it from getting infected again.

I've been hanging around ever since.

#11 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

As a volunteer at an old forum (Castle Cops aka Computer Cops) I found BC tutorials while searching and linked to them often...but for some reason (lack of time more'n likely) I did not join back then...Thought I did but..blame it on the teleporter..

Pauline

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:51 AM

Based from my memories, i joined in 2008 and how i found the site was by seeing my cousin getting help about his virus issue. My first post was about on solving on how to speed my computer since it was slow. From there on, i started to come to the forum to get my computer problem solved. In 2010, my interest in computers was at a new level, i started to go on the forum nearly everyday, to give a hand in the hardware section and also started to learn more about computer hardware from the friendly staff who supported me in the rocky times.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#13 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:42 AM

i got hacked and was really Desperate as i tried everything in my pockets
i was googling something like am i hacked there was a forum here with this name
i registered here and in Geekstogo and i got a great help so i decided to stay in place where there are friendly helpful people maybe someday i will payback the Kindness i got

thanks To Grinler , Bleeping gringo , Myrti , Cryptodan , Andrew aka Coffee , animal , OrangeBlossom
and all other those helped me

i really appreciate the help i got and i really Love this place

Edited by ranget, 30 December 2011 - 05:42 AM.

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#14 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:41 AM

I was working at a Help Desk - Level 1 - so it was mostly answering phones and filing the reports for the actual techs. My Supervisor had even less knowledge the we did (the ones answering the phones) so I started searching for some answers / explanations and what not.

Kept coming back to BC to find those answers.

Was a tourist for awhile but finally took the plunge so I could post some general questions all of which led me to this moment.

I love this place and how nice folks are.

Happy New Year!

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#15 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

I frequented a lot of forums for a while, but when they either changed for the worse or simply disappeared, I looked around and found BC. That was in 1994 (I had to look it up to be certain), and I have been here since. What makes this place special, and why I remained here, is that the information is always good, and no one ever "talks down" to people asking questions---knowledge and attitude. When I joined the staff after a couple of years, I was impressed by their dedication to this concept and the constant watchfulness over the forums and a genuine desire to make BC better. I remember the joy all of us had when we reached 6000 members, and take not a little pride in being a small part of BC with now over half a million Members.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users