Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Fails to Start

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 31Charlie

31Charlie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

Hello All,

My girlfriend's laptop, running Windows 7 x64, acquired the Windows 7 Home Security virus. I was able to get rid of it using several tutorials around this site but I am still left with several problems.

Most important is that Windows will not start up. When starting widows it will get to the Windows logo screen and when finished loading it will restart instead of actually loading Windows. I have tried starting is safe mode but it gets hung up on C windows system32 drivers classpnp.sys. The only way to get Windows to load is to enter repair mode and load a previous back-up point. I have tried replacing classpnp.sys but I am greeted with an error saying I do not have sufficient access.

I have also found out that the firewall is off and cannot be turned on, and that there is a virus in C windows assembly temp u that is simply labeled "@". When I attempt to delete it I get an error message saying it is running in Application Experience. When I temporarily disable Application Experience, I am given another error saying "@" is running in another task, which I do not remember the name of but that I cannot disable.

When I run MSE it finds about 7 virus each time and deletes them. It then suggest I restart my computer which I do. The computer then fails to restart, I repair it to an old back-up point and start all over again.

Can you please assist me?

Thanks!

Edited by Budapest, 29 December 2011 - 07:18 PM.
Moved from Win7 ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

i had a similar problem: i used another operating system a version of linux (bauer puntu 11.04) to back up documents.

you dont need to install it, if its downloaded to a disk and booted from you will be able to access the hard drive.

#3 31Charlie

31Charlie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

Thank you for the reply with your experience. I am trying to avoid resorting to reinstalling Windows. I was hoping there would be an "easier" fix, although I suppose a simple re-install would actually be the easy way out.

My problem is of my three issues, I do not know which I should tackle first. Should I attempt to make the computer able to start/restart normally first, should I attempt to re-enable the firewall, or should I concentrate on getting rid of the virus. All three are obviously related, and they all impede my fixing of one issue at a time. The virus wont let me fix firewall, unable to restart is frustrating while attempting to kill the virus, and no firewall leaves me open to more attacks. A real catch-22, if you will.

I will try to follow more of the tutorials on the main site tonight, while I wait for specific help. Thanks again!

Edited by 31Charlie, 29 December 2011 - 09:01 PM.

#4 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:17 AM

waiting for specific help is the best option.

i dont have enough experience with reinstalling operating systems, but bauer puntu you can boot from the disk: theres no need to install it and it gives you access to everything on the pc which is useful for a backup. it would make the pc useable without changing windows files.

#5 31Charlie

31Charlie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:22 AM

Interesting, I do not know much about Linux, that is something I will have to look in to. After getting the BSOD several times last night I was actually able to get it to restart long enough to save all of her pictures on a thumb drive. It appears the restart issue is more related to a corrupt OS or maybe even hardware going bad. Due to the timing of the failure though I am still leaning towards the corruption being caused by whatever virus she got on her system.

#6 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

http://www.bauer-power.net/2011/05/bauer-puntu-1104-is-out-start.html

thats the link to the operating system, the file is 1.5GB (so you will need a dvd to burn it to).

any questions let me know.

#7 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic435453.html

might be worth a look

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users