Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I used autoruns and I think I have disabled programs I needed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dagtag

dagtag

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

I am a computer novice who decided my computer was running too slow at startup. I searched the microsoft help site and came across the program autoruns and disabled several programs I thought I was not using. I don't remember which programs I disabled. I realize this was a mistake. My computer starts quickly now but my audio is disabled and my internet will not connect. Every thing else seems to be in working order. How can I find autoruns on my computer again? I am not sure if I downloaded it or just ran it. Is that even possible? I would like to enable all the programs I disabled or should I? Could what I changed in autoruns be causing the problem? I already went through this process:

•Open System Configuration by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking System Configuration.‌ If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

All of the programs listed there are enabled. I am using Windows 7 with a Dell Inspion. Thank you so much for any help :)

Edit: Moved topic from Windows Startup Programs Database to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wwgmr

wwgmr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

Hi, I would suggest going to start then in box type in autorun, windows will search for that on your drive and should find it. You can then run it again under everything recheck boxes for things you unchecked. Reboot things should work. With autoruns you want to go in options and have it hide windows items so you don't disable incorrect items. Then you should google or use this sites startup list section to help you clean up startup items. You may want to just use the start up tab in msconfig which you can get to by click start then type in msconfig.
Note if you use MSCONFIG after reboot you will get prompt telling you that you used it. Check box do not show me again when you see it otherwise will keep coming up.

Hope this helps out.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

I just have one criticism re the above post. You should NOT use msconfig to make changes to startup items. Msconfig was designed to be a diagnostic utility - that's why you get those messages when you use it. Instead, when you need to make permanent changes to services go to start - run and enter services.msc and to make permanent changes to startup items you were just fine with autoruns. Alternatively, you can use a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Edited by Allan, 29 December 2011 - 02:38 PM.

#4 dagtag

dagtag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:20 AM

Thank you Alan and wwgmr for your help! I went to start then services and there was the list I needed. You also helped me understand what information I needed to search for. I went to blackviper's website. He had a complete service menu with recommended and default settings. I was able to compare my list and his and change them as needed. That time spent will serve as a reminder to not change anything on my computer if I don't understand what I am doing. He did not recommend using msconfig to stop services like Alan said. He said it would disable programs instead of changing them to manual. My audio is now working but, I am still having issues with my internet connnection. When I try to connect I get a message that says there might be a problem with the driver for the wireless network connection adapter. Oh well, another problem to tackle tomorrow. Thanks again for the help :) You guys are awesome.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

startup programs and Services are not the same thing ~i have used msconfig to stop dumb programs from starting up and placing a icon down by the clock for about 14 yrs now ,on many many computers ,and i don't see/have any problems ,yes it is a diagnostic utility and a good one ,and yes you don't use it to stop Services ,but like i said not all programs in startup are a service or run by a service...

so i guess i will continue to use it ,because it quick ,but will add, to do so at your own risk or not at all ibest to use some other program to manager startups ,, i only use msconfig for programs i cant find a check box to stop startup in windows ,in there settings .good luck

Sysinternals autoruns is a good program to use if one wants to do thing correctly i guess

Edited by caperjac, 31 December 2011 - 07:25 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

Thank you Alan and wwgmr for your help! I went to start then services and there was the list I needed. You also helped me understand what information I needed to search for. I went to blackviper's website. He had a complete service menu with recommended and default settings. I was able to compare my list and his and change them as needed. That time spent will serve as a reminder to not change anything on my computer if I don't understand what I am doing. He did not recommend using msconfig to stop services like Alan said. He said it would disable programs instead of changing them to manual. My audio is now working but, I am still having issues with my internet connnection. When I try to connect I get a message that says there might be a problem with the driver for the wireless network connection adapter. Oh well, another problem to tackle tomorrow. Thanks again for the help :) You guys are awesome.

Regardless of what you do, msconfig is not designed to be a startup manager. It is a diagnostic utility. There are plenty of good apps designed specifically to manage startup items. I suggest it is not a good idea for you to recommend that other misuse msconfig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users