Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:01 AM
[size=2]The Belkin site says there is an update, but when I tried to open the download Windows said it could not read it; it had an strange extension (.rar). I let Windows search for an application to read the file and was presented with a utility that emulated WinZip. It stored the file, but would not open it or allow a download. Since there was no description accompaning the download, I really don't even know what it is supposed to accomplish -- fix a bug, increased security algorithm, whatever.
Upon further research, I have identified several problems associated with the location of the antenna. Some I can try to fix, others I'll just have to live with, i.e.,:
a. I placed the router on top of my desktop PC because of the length of the Ethernet cable and AC adapter. I have since learned that the PC can cause interference; I will get a longer cable and relocate the router.
b. There is a washer, dryer and associated water supply pipes between the office and the router. I understand that water absorbs RF at the frequency involved. Since moving the water pipes is out of the question, and the location of the office and modem is fixed (the modem is connected by cable to an antenna mounted on my roof), I'll live with that After all, I am getting a usable signal.
My main concern was the disparity of the apparent signal strength shown by the two computers. I think that you are correct in changing to another channel and pointing out that there ARE differences in the reception capability of various cards. I'm going to try changing the location of the router a few feet, switch to channel 6 and see what happens. If that doesn't work, then I may swap cards to match the one installed in the Dell.