Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Camera connection not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bibdilly

bibdilly

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

I am using Windows XP and I am having trouble getting it to recognise my camera (Canon SX30 IS). I have tried contacting Canon but their advice did not help. They told me to reinstall the driver or try a different USB port. I have connected the camera to an identical computer and it works fine.

When connecting the camera to the computer it appears in Device Manager but is not otherwise recognised by Windows Explorer or any other program. Device manager says it is working correctly. If the camera is installed (whether or not it is actually connected) Windows Explorer takes a very long time to display files and all other programs take a very long time to display files when trying to 'open' or 'save'. If I uninstall the camera this problem goes away. I have tried updating the driver and reinstalling - always with the same result.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:10 PM

Well...you don't necessarily need to install drivers for a camera like that.

The drivers are for the download/transfer of pics from the camera to the system...but they aren't always needed. It's more common that they are not, plug and play rules.

When you uninstalled the drivers...did you also go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the Canon software?

Have you tried just connecting the camera via USB...turning it on...then using the Scanner/Camera Wizard?

From XP Help menu:
To install a scanner or digital camera
Plug your camera or scanner into your computer.
If your camera is Plug and Play, the Scanner and Camera Wizard starts.

-or-

Double-click Add Device.
Follow the instructions on your screen.
Notes

To open Scanners and Cameras, click Start, click Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Scanners and Cameras.
If you have a Plug and Play camera, Windows detects it and installs it automatically.
If your camera or scanner is not Plug and Play, follow the installation instructions that came with the device.
If your camera or scanner is not listed in the Scanner and Camera Installation Wizard, try to install it using Device Manager. For more information, click Related Topics.
After you install your scanner or camera, you can test it. For more information, click Related Topics.