Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gfx prob

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FIFAguru

FIFAguru

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

I want to know if my PC will support a graphics card or not. My computer specifications are as under ,very old a. Pentium 4 @ 3.0 GHz with Hyper Threading Technology.
b.DDR 768 MB RAM
c.128 MB onboard integrated graphics - Intel 915G
d.110 GB SATA hard disk
e.LG Flatron 192WS 1400x900 LCD
f.Logitech classic keyboard
g.Hp black mouse
I am a bit confused with the four slots on my computers motherboard . The three slots have three kinda shutters behind which a can be opened by screws. But my main query is will i be able to install a new gfx card provided it is a nVIDIA GTX 580 1GB DDR3 one. Please help me. Any kinda help is thankful. 1. Name of those slots 2.will i be able to install a new gfx card. Please help

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

System manufacturer and model...or motherboard manufacturer and model, if custom/self-built ?

Louis

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

That graphics card requires that you have a motherboard with at least one PCI-Express x16 slot. Refer to this pic, your motherboard must have a slot that looks exactly like the top slot:

Posted Image

Note that the rear of the computer (where the three slots with covers are on your machine) is directly to the left in this picture. You must also have a power supply rated at no less than 600 watts, and with the necessary auxiliary power connectors for the GPU.

#4 FIFAguru

FIFAguru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

Thank you very much but can i know which graphics card of nvidia is the perfect fit for my machine ? I am recently looking to buy a new graphics card and RAM. Again for your info a pentium4 @3.0ghz ht. Thank you very much for your hearty reply . This is Tirtharaj aka FIFAguru and i am xtrmly grateful to you.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:08 AM

Pentium 4 is the processor, you need to provide the motherboard model, so we can determine the slots you have, also can provide the power supply model.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

I highly doubt that you will be able to run a GTX 580 on a machine that old. Please provide us the Speccy Output.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

If the GTX580 did power up, it would the processor would be a massive bottleneck.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users