Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Renew Norton?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:14 AM

It's time to renew my Norton Internet Security. I've read lots of complaints about Norton. What other security software should I consider?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:59 PM

Keep in mind that complaints are made by those who experience problems with a program. Many people use Norton and it works fine for them.

You have a lot of options.

1) If you like Norton and it works for you keep it.

2) Investigate other security programs-there are many to choose from. I use Eset Smart Security and have no complaints about it. I know people who swear that Kaspersky is the best security program. At one time I did use Kaspersky and it worked well for me. A few of the others are Trend Micro, Panda, BitDefender and McAfee. I cannot comment on the first 3 because I have no experience with them. McAfee caused to many problems for me so I will never use it again.

The thing to remember is that there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to security products. What works well for one person may not play nice with your system. (this was the case when I attempted to use McAfee long ago).

What I suggest is that you research what is available. Narrow down your choices. Before you purchase anything take advantage of the trial "try before you buy" that the major players offer. This will give you a chance to evaluate the program AND to find out if it does play nice with your computer. If you have to provide an email address when downloading or installing and you want to purchase the product wait until the trial is almost set to expire. You may get a "special offer" to buy at a discount.

3) Free products. These will sometimes lack a few of the features that the paid versions have but will still give your system the protection it needs. A list of the free products recommended by BC can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic366982.html

*edited to correct a spelling error*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 December 2011 - 04:35 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,762 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

I agree with Queen-Evie.

Although Symantec (Norton) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. I have read from other users that Symantec has improved the newer versions while others say differently. However, Symantec products can be difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind which require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus. To be fair, other vendors are also using removal tools for the same reason. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative.

Please see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

After reading that, scroll up to the first topic posting and read Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

Norton has been good to me although it does slow down some things. Why does it use so much system resources when other security software doesn't?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,762 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

Why does it use so much system resources when other security software doesn't?

Norton Internet Security is a suite which means it has lots of features, not just anti-virus protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users