Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't reboot windows after combofix bsod

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 steveorino

steveorino

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:08 AM

Trying to remove Root32 malware I ran combofix per tutorial, system went to blue screen with stop 0x0000007B. System Restore says "can't start windows file Windows\System32\CONFIG\SYSTEM missing or corrupt. This computer is 2nd hand from a tech guy who has moved out of state and I do not have any of the XP start-up discs. I can see the virus/malware take over the computer at start-up as the monitor does a strange flicker. Please help, not worried about computer as much as photos and other files on hard drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:35 AM

System manufacturer and model?

<<System Restore says...>>

Are you referring to the system manufacturer's restore/recovery mechanism...or Windows System Restore function?

Can you boot into safe mode?

Do you have the ComboFix log?

<<can't start windows file Windows\System32\CONFIG\SYSTEM missing or corrupt.>>

That error indicates a corrupt/damaged Windows registry.

Louis

#3 steveorino

steveorino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

It is a Dell computer, please forgive my lack of info. as i only have internet access at work now and the computer is at home and unable to run windows. I can boot into safe mode but apparently the virus/malware is controlling that too. not sure where to find combofix log, i have gotten to recovery screen that says insert your xp cd and press r at startup to repair. i have no startup cd.

#4 steveorino

steveorino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:48 AM

using windows system restore that was downloaded after prompt from combofix.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

Is the same system involved in this topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic435977.html ?

Louis

#6 steveorino

steveorino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Yes, I was able to repair/replace the ....Config/system file by reading another tutorial, now i just can't connect to internet.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

It seems that your system needs to be examined for malware issues...and all other topics/issues need to be put on hold until that is resolved.

Once you post the requested logs in the Malware Removal Logs forum, this and the other XP topic will be closed, to avoid confusion.

Once you have posted the proper logs in the Malware Removal Logs forum, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users