Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to make my ubuntu drive usable in Windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Siecje

Siecje

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:02 AM

I have two hard drives in my computer, one has Windows Vista installed, the other has Ubuntu installed. My computer auto logs into Windows Vista but I can access Ubuntu from the boot menu. I want to uninstall Ubuntu so that in Windows Vista I can access and use the hard drive that Ubuntu is using.

In 'Computer' I cannot see the drive with Ubuntu installed, but through Ubuntu I can see both drives.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

If the file system is neither NTFS nor FAT...a drive will not show in My Computer.

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6495/1

But the fact that the drive is physically attached should be verifiable via Disk Management, I think. Not sure, I don't do linux, Windows is tough enough for me :).

Louis

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

Hi Siecje,

If you have or can borrow a Vista Installation DVD (not a Recovery DVD made when you first purchased the computer), I would proceed as follows:

• Right click on "My computer" either on your desktop or in the Start Menu, select "Manage" and click "Disk Management. If the Linux Drive is visible, delete all partitons on the Linux Drive then create one large partition and format it NTFS.
  • If you can't see the Linux hard drive in Windows Disk Management, download EaseUs Free Partition Manager, Ver 9.1 (Home Edition) and install it in Vista. EaseUs will recognize linux partitions.
  • Startup EaseUs and delete all of the partitons on the Linux Drive then create one large partition and format it NTFS. Now Vista will recognize the drive.
  • Put the Vista Installation DVD in the DVD Drive (make sure that the DVDROM drive is set to boot first) and follow the numerical steps in this Guide: Easy How To: Remove GRUB and Restore Vista's Bootloader After an Ubuntu Uninstall.
Good luck.

Edited by Artrooks, 29 December 2011 - 01:29 PM.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users