Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Backlight Issue?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jduval43

jduval43

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:43 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have an odd problem with my Toshiba laptop. The Laptop starts, fans turn on hard drive is running but there is no screen and no HDD light blinking. I first though it was a backlight issue but when I shine a bright flashlight on the screen I see nothing. I also plugged in an external monitor and had no results. The only light that lights up is the power on indicator. The LED for the HDD doesn't turn on. the caps lock key doesnt turn on when pressed but the FN indicator turns on when FN is pressed. I get no POST beeps or anything else. I tried to boot up the machine with no RAM and no HDD with the same results. I took the laptop apart and found no water damage or any damage of any kind. Any one have any ideas before I call it quits?:smash:

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:58 AM

I get no POST beeps or anything else. I tried to boot up the machine with no RAM and no HDD with the same results.

I'd suggest downloading the instructions for your model from the mytoshiba support website, and using the specified procedure (varies between models) to clear the CMOS data in case it has become corrupted and is causing the BIOS to set an unbootable condition for the CPU. Beyond that, unless anyone else has another idea, service might be the only option.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 jduval43

jduval43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:47 AM

I get no POST beeps or anything else. I tried to boot up the machine with no RAM and no HDD with the same results.

I'd suggest downloading the instructions for your model from the mytoshiba support website, and using the specified procedure (varies between models) to clear the CMOS data in case it has become corrupted and is causing the BIOS to set an unbootable condition for the CPU. Beyond that, unless anyone else has another idea, service might be the only option.

Thanks for the response platypus I'll give that a try in the morning. Not worth sending this machine in for service as it is an older laptop. If it is all done then it's time to move on.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

Some things to try since you already had it open Strip it down to the bare minimum. Unplug all but one memory and swap if needed. Unplug the touch-pad, wireless adapter, cable from the display for video, Keyboard, hard drive, optical drive, USB ports etc.

Remove everything except the power cable if it has one from the AC adapter to the motherboard and the cable from the power switch if it has one. Hook up a external monitor and then try turning it on. No external then leave the screen plugged in. I saw one Toshiba laptop that the Keyboard was the culprit. Another where it was a strip with lights and buttons for multimedia killed it. Also look at the USB ports for physical damage. I saw that on Dell Optiplexes and My Sager L/T.

It could be the motherboard or something plugged into the motherboard so reducing it to as little as possible should be helpful in determining where the fault lies.

Good Luck

P.S. What is the Model part number of of the bottom

Edited by rotor123, 30 December 2011 - 04:25 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users