Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home restarts when browsing internet

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 kisxena

kisxena

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 05 November 2004 - 02:03 PM

HELP!!!!

I've tried to get help from the IT guys here at work and they don't know. Had the cable guy out and he doesn't know what the problem is.

Since I'm at work, I can safely use the internet and not get shut down. So please try and help me before I go home today.

For the past month and , while browsing the internet (rarely even gets to browse) my computer will restart. This does NOT happen while working in SW apps such as MS Office, only when I get onto the net.

I did a send report when the error message pops up after restarting. This is what I can remember:

BCCode: a 000000E8 BCP1: 0000001 BCP2: 0000002 BCP3: 0000003 BCP4: E08BB8?? OSVer: 5_1_2600

Then the error details:

C:\Windows\Minidump\Minidump110404-18.xml

I looked on www.support.microsoft.com and the closest I found was due to the ATI Ratheon Video Adapter. I haven't installed any hardware.

The problem actually occurred when all of a sudden my ethernet connection stopped working and I had to connect my cable modem using the USB connection.

Hope this is enough information for someone to give me a clue.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 05 November 2004 - 03:36 PM

Create a directory on your hardrive, to save HijackThis.exe, called c:\hijackthis. This is a mandatory step, for the backup and restore functions, of HijackThis, to be able to work.

Download the latest version, from here.

Read the pinned post in the HJT forum, here

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum. Do not fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

#3 kisxena

kisxena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2004 - 01:31 PM

Ok...since I can't get an internet connection at home, I went ahead and took some screenshots from my PC regarding the IRQ and Device Manager.

FYI: I have been in contact with HP but they aren't supporting me via e-mail and I'm not availble for their telephone support. Have to wait until next weekend. Like I have time to wait.

Please see screenshots at this page I made:

http://www.motoangelz.com/homepc/homepc.html

Also, I removed the realtek driver but I still had the same problem with keeping my internet connection.

Thanks for any assistance

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:08 PM

First thank you for providing us a very detailed description of the issues you are having. Very well done how you presented the information to us.

If you remove the usb cable modem driver does realtek still show a conflict or a problem under device manager? If the conflict is gone, but you still cant get on the internet , try this:

http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html

#5 kisxena

kisxena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:23 PM

Hi Grinler:

Thank you so much for providing more support than HP.

I checked out the link but it only refers to Windows OS' other than Windows XP Home which is what I'm using.

I'm currently at work and won't be able to work on this until I get home tonight.

If you have a link for Windows XP, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2004 - 04:54 PM

Sporry meant to give you this link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/winsock2fix.php

#7 kisxena

kisxena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:02 PM

Hi Grinler:

Followed your steps but nothing has been resolved. Please see link for new screenshots from yesterday.

Thanks

Edited by kisxena, 10 November 2004 - 12:02 PM.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:37 PM

In its current stage can you use the ethernet card? Or can you only use the usb hookup? And even with the usb hookup, it still dies after a while?

#9 kisxena

kisxena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:41 PM

Hi Grinler:

I originally had my Linksys hooked up via Ethernet using the RJ45 cable. Then one day, kaput! So, I connected it via the USB connection. That's when all the drama started. In the beginning, I would be on the net for about 5-10 minutes then, kaput! Now, I just connect to it and it restarts the pc.

Hope this gives you some clues as to what the cause may be.

Thanks

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:53 PM

I do not have much experience with usb cable modems, so I am going to focus on getting the ethernet hooked up. Have you thought about replacing the ethernet card with a new one? Network cards are fairly cheap these days and you can usually return them if it does not fix our problem

#11 kisxena

kisxena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:34 PM

I would have replaced the NIC but Hewlett Packard doesn't use a NIC. It looks like it's a module on the motherboard.

I do have 2 empty slots that I could probably put a NIC in but I would have to figure out how to switch out the ethernet port on the motherboard.

This is so not what I learned in school back in the 90's. :thumbsup:

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:32 PM

There should be an option to disable the onboard network card in your bios. To access your bios you would press the del key or f2 when its booting. You should see a message that says press blah key to enter setup when you start your computer.

#13 kisxena

kisxena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:40 PM

Hi Grinler:

I disabled 1394 adapter in BIOS but still same problem.

Please see today's entries to my diary:

Thanks

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:21 PM

1394 shouldnt have had an affect. Did you have a chance to try and install a new network card, or no luck on that yet?

#15 kisxena

kisxena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:30 PM

That's going to have to wait plus I don't want to screw anything up until I finally and hopefully get phone support from HP on Sunday.

*Make note to self: DO NOT BUY HP OR COMPAQ...AGAIN!!!!*

Edited by kisxena, 11 November 2004 - 08:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users