Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't recognize audio device

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ASupervillain

ASupervillain

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

I recently reinstalled windows xp on my dell dimension 4600 after it was so badly infected with viruses that the keyboard completely stopped responding.

After wrestling with getting the internet connection to work again I've been stumped as to how to get my sound to work. I've updated all the sound drivers and I'm 100% certain that the wires are all hooked up correctly. When I go to audio devices in control panel it just says that there is no audio device attached, I've tried unplugging my speakers and connecting headphones and it's still the same story so I know it's not a hardware issue. I've tried everything I could find on the internet and still it just won't register the sound and there is no speaker icon in the bottom right corner where there usually is. What could possibly be going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Try these from Dell.
Install the chipset drivers first.

Edit: Dont use anything else!

Edited by Eyesee, 28 December 2011 - 10:56 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 ASupervillain

ASupervillain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:05 AM

Well when I tried to install the second one it told me that it was unable to detect my "soundblaster audio card", which makes no sense to me since the sound worked perfectly fine before I reinstalled the OS. Also when I tried to install the 4th one it said that there was unknown hardware and that it couldn't find any software to install it. Could the "unknown" hardware be my sound card or something. When I go into device manager the "unknown" appears with a yellow exclamation point next to it.

EDIT: Oh hold on I only installed the audio ones, didn't read your post as closely as I should have, I'll see what happens.

Edited by ASupervillain, 29 December 2011 - 12:18 AM.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:24 AM

This one
I think is the one that you need

Make sure to install the chipset first.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 ASupervillain

ASupervillain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:32 AM

Well I'm simply not being allowed to install the chipset driver, like no matter how I try to go around it and run it the computer simply will not let me run the installation.

Edit: *facepalm* nevermind I just got it to work.

Edited by ASupervillain, 29 December 2011 - 12:35 AM.

#6 ASupervillain

ASupervillain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:47 AM

Okay, so I got the chipset driver installed and all the audio drivers installed. When I installed that one that you posted most recently a window popped up saying that new hardware has been discovered then it asks me to find the software that goes with it. The name of the hardware is "unknown' and after it scans for the required software it always says that no software could be found. Right after I installed the BIOS update driver and my computer restarted the same thing happened but instead of "unknown" it was called "multimedia audio controller", again it couldn't find the software needed.

Edited by ASupervillain, 29 December 2011 - 12:50 AM.

#7 ASupervillain

ASupervillain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:56 AM

I'm just bumping this to see if anyone can still help. Half of what I use this computer for is music, I really need help.

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:41 AM

Hi there,

Have you looked through this guide?

What Sound Card Do I Have in My Dell Dimension 4600 and How Do I Install the Driver?

It helps you identify the "correct" audio driver for your system.

Something else you can try:

1. Go to Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/System.
2. Click on the Hardware tab, then Device Manager
3. There is a good chance that there will be an ! next to the audio devices that aren't working. If so, and even if they're not, right-click on it and choose Uninstall.
4. Either reboot or click on the icon that has the pop-up "Scan for Hardware Changes"
5. The computer should locate the sound card hardware. If you get a pop-up asking about going to the internet to locate drivers, choose this option. Let Windows find the best driver or install the driver you have (from the above suggestion)
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#9 ASupervillain

ASupervillain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:11 AM

Well when I go into device manager the only thing showing up with a yellow ! next to it is the previously mentioned device called "Unknown". which I've determined to be the multimedia audio controller. I did what you said and uninstalled it and when the "found new hardware wizard" came up it did exactly the same thing it's done several times, it told me that software needed to be found in order to install the device then it tried searching the internet for the necessary software, then told me that the necessary software could not be found and the hardware could not be installed.
On another note when I tried to plug in my ipod it did precisely the same thing and wouldn't allow my ipod to be recognized by this computer. I feel it may be something wrong with the "found new hardware wizard".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users