Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU runs for 3 seconds with graphic card in.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 motois

motois

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:20 PM

Inspiron 518

Intel Dual cpu e2200 2.20

4 gb

Hello, whenever i plug my graphic card in and i hit the power buttion my cpu fan gos for about 3 or 4 seconds then stops. and i have to unplug the power from the power supply or unplug the 24 pin connecter. or it doesnt do anything anymore not even attempt to boot or post. im really lost because this is my wifes graphic's card and when i took it out of hers it was working perfectly but now when i put it in mine it does this.

Now before you say its the mobo,bios anything like that im typing to you on the same computer thru intagraded graphic's thats why i really dont understand it everything works fine i have a 550w psu brandnew i just bought cause i thought that was the prob. but i dont get it.

now why i was trading graphics cards was because my other raedon hd 3450 stop displaying a picture when i would turn the pc on. it just randomly happened one morning when i woke up but intagraded works fine

the card im tryin to put in is a nivida 9 series and yes i have removed all my ATI drivers all the ones icould find atleast im just really lost and dont know how to fix this been tryin and googling for about a week now ....

thank you!!

Edited by motois, 28 December 2011 - 10:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

Does the computer make any beeps when it starts up with the Nvidia card installed?

Also, have you tried the 3450 in another computer to verify that it was the part that failed? Ruling out a faulty PCIe slot would be helpful.

Finally, is your BIOS updated to the latest version? If not, do so to rule it out as well. Video card compatibility is often a reason for BIOS updates.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R215480&FileId=2731125964

Edited by LucheLibre, 28 December 2011 - 10:51 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 motois

motois
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

Does the computer make any beeps when it starts up with the Nvidia card installed?

Also, have you tried the 3450 in another computer to verify that it was the part that failed? Ruling out a faulty PCIe slot would be helpful.

Finally, is your BIOS updated to the latest version? If not, do so to rule it out as well. Video card compatibility is often a reason for BIOS updates.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R215480&FileId=2731125964

updated the bios tryed both cards the nivida one still turns n for 3 sec's and the raedon turns on fans run on it and the cpu but theres no post

and yea i've tryed the raedon on 2 computers and it does the same turns on but no display i dont have another computer that has 300w to run the nivida to try it

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:43 AM

Just to cover my bases, I assume that you have triple-checked that your wiring connections are solid and that you are using the correct 6-pin and/or 8-pin connections to the card? Also, what color is the power light and is it blinking?

One suggestion is to remove the BIOS battery for at least 10 minutes, put it back in, and try booting again with the Nvidia card. Possibly not related, but I figure I'd mention it anyway.

At any rate, if the above don't pan out, you should perform a bench test by removing every component from the case and setting them on a non-conductive surface. Connect only the MB, CPU/HSF, one stick of RAM, the PSU, GPU, and a monitor. Use a small screwdriver to short the power switch pins on the MB front panel header (this will require some googling to find the right ones; trial and error worked for me, YMMV). If it works, put just those parts back in the case, and start it up. If that then fails, the case is shorting.

If the bench test fails, you get the wonderful opportunity to go through replacing one part at a time starting with your Motherboard. Find a motherboard with the same CPU and RAM sockets and a PCI-e slot. Swap the components over to it and do another bench test.

Edited by LucheLibre, 29 December 2011 - 12:49 AM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users