Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Exceptions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mikepin

mikepin

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:05 PM

I have a list of a few exceptions on my firewall settings like messenger (msn and yahoo) and Lexxpps.exe (for the printer?)
My question is: When I go to 'add program' there are a few things in the list like microsoft antispyware, ccleaner, fax tools...should these be on the communication exceptions list for the firewall?

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Mikepin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mikepin

mikepin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:08 AM

50 view's a not one single reply to what seem's a fairly simple question. You guy's don't like me do you?
I think I'll stick to computer geeks at that other site because at least they answer their posters. If you post here with computer ignorance you are ignored like a homeless guy in the alley. Thanks alot computer masters for nothing because truthfully speaking I think you have helped me (to an extent) like twice out of the 50 something post I have made here...what a waste.
Mikepin

#3 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:47 AM

Mikepin.

You have a very nasty attitude and it doesn't speak well of you. We are all volunteers here and work to help others for free. I haven't seen you helping others - it's a community where you give to get. If we have viewed it and not responded it means we do not know the answer, not that we do not want to help you. You say we've helped you twice. I searched your previous 8 threads before this and found:

Here
...and here
...and here
...and here
...and here
...and here
...and here
...and here

Now i would say that in every single thread above, someone has helped you to their best capabilites. Shame on you for your dreadful attitude and I don't mind if you never come back.

David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 19 February 2006 - 10:54 AM.

#4 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:53 PM

50 view's a not one single reply to what seem's a fairly simple question. You guy's don't like me do you?
I think I'll stick to computer geeks at that other site because at least they answer their posters. If you post here with computer ignorance you are ignored like a homeless guy in the alley. Thanks alot computer masters for nothing because truthfully speaking I think you have helped me (to an extent) like twice out of the 50 something post I have made here...what a waste.
Mikepin

Have you ever heard the term "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth", the people who respond here are doing a service out of kindness and good faith. You should know this after 60 posts, but one nonresponse and you make an arse out of yourself by your attitude.

A simple "Please can someone give me some feedback" would have gotten a far better response, heck, I was even gonna make a suggestion, until I read your second post. This isn't Myspace bud, this is a place for learning from the experiences of others.

And helping the computer illiterate is a large part of why I offer my help here, because I remember when I didn't know anything, and how thankfull I was that there were people to take time and walk me through my difficulties. I am sure that most of the frequent posters here feel much the same way.

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:06 PM

Typing the word "Bump", which I am sure you have seen would have brough you POST back to the front an everyone would have looked at it again.
If you feel you receive better results from the other site I wish you all the best. We do not charge a fee and you are never spammed. The only thing we do with you Email is notify you when your Topic receive a reply.
I for one do not wish to see you abandon us. I do feel a little more respect for the members who donate thier time to assist other is deserved.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 mikepin

mikepin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:01 AM

Kind of strange how one gets the feedback now after everyone gets alittle pissed because of what I say after being ignored basically for 50 + post, I post upset by no response to what I know is simple for anyone of you and all I get still yet in response is chastised and guess what my question still goes unanswered so once again human nature is shown because if you can't get a response from someone then be insultive toward them or their organization and a response is guaranteed then....this series of post prove that to be fact.
Thanks, Mike

#7 mikepin

mikepin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:05 AM

:thumbsup: And btw...I make donations (now about $100 worth ) so don't talk to me about free because nothing is and I do my part for the service's here it typically take's awhile to receive. Better look over those post again because quite a few times I wasn't helped at all in your here...here....here...links which btw don't work....whatever.
Mike

#8 mikepin

mikepin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:22 PM

I am on a windows xp firewall, getting back to the topic,apologizing for being....well you know....got some help already and I thank you and any other info is appreciated. Day jobs/night jobs, good days and bad one's we all have them....sorry once again your work here is recognized even if at times it isn't appreciated.

Thanks Mikepin :thumbsup:

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:49 PM

All the links to prior posts work for me using Mozilla.

Generally, if I know the application that is requesting access, and there is a reason for it, I allow it. What one has to be careful with are exceptions---for example an application one is not using, or not recognised, suddenly wants access.

Now I use Sygate Personal Firewall, which I find more robust than Window's version, and this allows the user to set permissions by application: never, always, ask first--- are the options provided.
Each firewall seems to operate a little differently, but if the MS firewall has these options, you can always set them to "ask," deny it when it happens, and if something does not function as expected, then change the permission. Perhaps someone who uses MS's firewall can give better advice.
This description of the Windows firewall may help:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320855
See also the section, "Windows Firewall Filtering" here:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserve...#BKMK_processes

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 01 March 2006 - 12:57 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 mikepin

mikepin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:26 PM

Thanks John, I'll read all this over. Do I understand firewalls and even browser's? Nope not at all so I appreciate the forwarded info and I shall read and learn. Thanks a bunch,
Mike :thumbsup:

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 03:24 PM

Windows XP Firewall is much better than its Internet Connection Firewall predecessor, but it is no replacement for a 3rd-party personal firewall.

The XP firewall protects Windows XP against port scanning but there are some serious issues and limitations involved in using it.

1. The XP firewall is not a full featured firewall. Normal firewalls allow you to specifically control each TCP and UDP port but XP’s firewall does not provide you with this capability. Instead, it takes a point and click approach to enabling or disabling a few common ports.

2. The XP firewall does a good job of monitoring, examining and blocking inbound traffic but makes no attempt to filter or block outbound traffic like most 3rd-party personal firewalls. Thus, the XP firewall does not identify which programs attempt to initiate outbound network or Internet communications nor does it block the traffic when suspicious activity occurs.

This feature can be helpful in preventing many types of malware attacks that may attempt to open ports or communicate with outside servers without the user's knowledge or consent. It also means that if your system has been compromised, a hacker could use your machine as part of a distributed denial of service attack.

By default, Windows Firewall rejects all incoming traffic unless that traffic is in response to a previous outgoing request.

If you are not using the Windows firewall, you need to disable it. Running multiple software firewalls on a single computer can cause conflicts that are hard to identify and troubleshoot. Only one of the firewalls can receive the packets over the network and process them. Sometimes you may even have a conflict that causes neither firewall to protect your connection. However, you can use a hardware firewall (your router) and a software firewall (Kerio or ZoneAlarm) in conjunction.

• Using and Understanding XP's Firewall
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...rnmore/icf.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...p2_wfintro.mspx

• Firewall FAQs
• Home PC Firewall Guide
• Understanding and Using Firewalls
• Comparing Firewall Features
• Directory Of Firewalls
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 mikepin

mikepin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone. Did some research and took suggestions deciding on Mozilla firefox web browser and Zone alarm along with Avast!, spybot,and ms antispy and thing's are grand. Oh and CCleaner as well. Everything seem's to run a ton better. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

:thumbsup: Mikepin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users