Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Update question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

Hello December 28, 2011
Sorry if not the correct forum. Not quite sure where this should go.
My computer is a Win 7 64 Bit desktop
As some have said that the recent malware outbreak could be getting in through old Java I thought I should update. I found a link on BC that brought me to
A ‘Verify Java Version page”. I clicked and let it check. I believe it said I had Java 6 update 29. Java 6 update 30 was the recommended download. I downloaded and installed. The Java site advised to use ADD/ Remove to uninstall older versions.
Under the programs listed in
Java 6 update 23 ( 64 bit)
Java 6 update 30

I am confused about the 64 bit version installed. If I remove it will update 30 , which I assume is 32 bit, be adequate?
I have Firefox 9.01 (X86en-US). I assume that this is 32 bit but cannot seem to find where to check for sure. I rarely us IE but do need the capability for some things.

Is it OK to uninstall Java 6 update 23 ( 64 bit) or should it be left on the system?
If I did not uninstall am I open to whatever malware targets the older Java versions?

Thanks
Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:49 AM

Maybe this will help Nawtheasta.

Which Java download should I choose for my 64-bit Windows operating system?

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:41 PM

Hi Flannelback
Thanks for the info. I looked at that previously. I tried both methods that mentions to check the FF version but couldn't find any mention of 64 or 32 bit.
Still trying to determine the best course of action for my desktop.
Also,( this should probably be a separate post) my sons laptop computer has only the updated version showing in ADD/ Remove but digging into the system I can see other Java in an OEM preinstall folder.
As long as only the update is showing in ADD/ Remove does this mean the vulnerability will be denied to malware even if other Java info. can be found elsewhere on the computer??

Keeping Java in the state it should be in is getting very confusing.

#4 Gonh

Gonh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

Hi Nawtheasta

Firefox 9.x is 32-bit. Since you have Windows 7, it should come with a 64-bit Internet Explorer and that would require 64-bit java logically.

#5 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

Given this statement:

If you running 64-bit Firefox, it may be indicated as 64-bit (e.g., Win64); otherwise it is a 32-bit version of Firefox.

Emphasis mine, http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml#verify browser

Since you're not seeing any version reference, I would think it is the 32 bit version of Fx. So you would need both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Java 6u30 installed. Another way to check which Fx you have is, bring up the Task Manager and look at the firefox.exe process. If it listed with a "*32" appended to the end i.e. "firefox.exe *32" then it is the 32 bit version. If it is the 64 bit version it will be listed as "firefox.exe". Something else to try, type "about:" in the firefox address bar and tap Enter. That should take you to the about Firefox page. "Build identifier" should be listed there.

If the only version of Java showing up in Add/Remove is "Java™ 6 update 29" and the corresponding "Java Auto Updater" then it should be safe to just uninstall(and reboot) then install Java 6u30.

#6 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

Since you're not seeing any version reference, I would think it is the 32 bit version of Fx. So you would need both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Java 6u30 installed. Another way to check which Fx you have is, bring up the Task Manager and look at the firefox.exe process. If it listed with a "*32" appended to the end i.e. "firefox.exe *32" then it is the 32 bit version. If it is the 64 bit version it will be listed as "firefox.exe". Something else to try, type "about:" in the firefox address bar and tap Enter. That should take you to the about Firefox page. "Build identifier" should be listed there.

If the only version of Java showing up in Add/Remove is "Java™ 6 update 29" and the corresponding "Java Auto Updater" then it should be safe to just uninstall(and reboot) then install Java 6u30.

Perfect! Thanks Flannelback. Don't know why java can't mention this simply way of checking.( FF is shown as 32 )
Since Add/ Remove has Java 6 update 23 ( 64 bit) listed I guess I need to update the 64 bit version also to be able to use IE? I will have two versions of Java on the computer but I guess it will not be a problem as long as I update both going forward.

Edited by Nawtheasta, 29 December 2011 - 03:12 PM.

#7 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

You're welcome. Just so long as it all works(right). Personally, I'm getting tired of all these infernal updates and upgrades. It's like having to tune up your car every morning before heading off to work :)

#8 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

Hi Flannelback
One other thing.
Java instructions has one downloading and installing the update then going to ADD / Remove and uninstalling the old version

You and others on BC show order of operations as download, uninstall, reboot and then install.

Any particular advantage of one way over the other?

Best Regards
Nawtheasta
By the way, have a Happy New Year!

#9 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

Download installer first and scan, while everything is working properly.

Uninstall then reboot, eliminates the possibility of a cross up(conflict?) because two versions of the same application are installed. Also eliminates the possibility of damage to the new version while trying to uninstall the old version.

It's a 'one step at a time in particular order' approach that helps prevent some possible problems cropping up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users