Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PRINTERS AND SCANNERS AND SOFTWARE RUNNING THEM

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:30 PM

I can't remember how many printers I've gone through but it gets expensive over the years. Now my Lexmark is in the trash and I need another one and I'd like to make the best choice based on what i need it for. I need an all-in-one to be used mainly for printing and scanning (I do not print the scanned pictures just keep them on a disk). I have a ton of old photos I need to archive and restore.
(btw I do not need anything fancy like doublesided copying etc. just a basic RELIABLE 4 in 1. :angry: I prefer wired as opposed to Wireless. I need something RELIABLE. (Lol whoever said I need something I can't count on?) :hysterical:

The one recently deceased was a Lexmark Business machine and it had EXCELLENT phone support but the software sucked, it was always installed, not installed, screwed up, so you couldn't rely on it working. It had a total mind of its own. In a day and age when its darn near impossible to talk to a live human being in Customer Service, I did love their support as you never had to go through all the call trees and endless blah blah.

I don't remember all the ones I've had but I just returned an Epson which had NO NONE ZIP PHONE SUPPORT and really was clear as mud and wireless which I did not want.

Can someone give me a clue as to a decent manufacturer AND SOFTWARE. Like I said the Lexmark was good but when its mind got blown it did all kinds of weird stuff.

I have work backing up and had a printer selected (an HP) but Murphys Law that was the one they were out of and Best Buy was TOO HIGH.

Does HP have ANY phone support. Epson had NONE - the number they list just says "sorry we don't do that anymore basically". I'd like to know how I can start a business where if my product sucks I can just ignore the people and keep raking in money. i hate it (and it makes me into a not very nice person) when I'm sorting through endless online "try this try that" from the manufacturer's SUCKY WEB SITE. The Epson I just took back advertised QUICK SET UP to which I say bull $*)% :dance:

Whats your experience? Who has decent hardware & software AND Phone Support???

Thanks

I don't really have time for stalling around on this I've already wasted several days but I don't want another mistake? :busy:

Incidentally my computers - I have 2 - one windows 7 and one Snow Leopard

Edited by kcsummer, 28 December 2011 - 08:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

Before you buy any brand do the basic research.
That means look up the support phone number and give it a try.

I haven't tried them for anything but their dot matrix support, But have you tried Okidata?
Their business models are pretty good. Not cheap though.
Call support for Okidata, HP, Dell (believe it or not) see how they work.
Once again business models get better support.

Just as important look at user reviews of a model, That has saved me a few times.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:16 PM

Before you buy any brand do the basic research.
That means look up the support phone number and give it a try.

I haven't tried them for anything but their dot matrix support, But have you tried Okidata?
Their business models are pretty good. Not cheap though.
Call support for Okidata, HP, Dell (believe it or not) see how they work.
Once again business models get better support.

Just as important look at user reviews of a model, That has saved me a few times.

All good suggestions. And you are right about the business class getting better support. I saw that with my Lexmark printer. the support was about all you could hope to ask for, they even would do the remote help thing if you were having a problem. The SOFTWARE SUCKED imo.

I have been looking into some different choices and have almost decided on a Canon. I'm going to take your suggestion and give their customer service a call.

The Samsung Customer Service Line had a recording which was basically saying too bad they don't do that anymore.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:54 AM

You may have noticed I didn't suggest Samsung, Precisely for that reason.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

You may have noticed I didn't suggest Samsung, Precisely for that reason.

I noticed however i did not know your reasoning. I do try to read reviews in various venues. The problem is that it is all very time consuming so i have finally decided to order a Canon from Amazon.com. I ordered the http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HO58VG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER I've paid more and I've paid less but it seems to have good reviews and i do not need lots of bells and whistles. I think sometimes the more of those, the more things to go wrong.

Thanks for your input - I'll see how this one goes and try to leave an update here in case anyone else is lookng.

Edited by kcsummer, 30 December 2011 - 01:17 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

I wish you luck in the New Year.

Cheers
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

I wish you luck in the New Year.

and the same to you - I think we could all use a little luck in the New Year.:wink:

Anne

Cheers
Roger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users