Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator permissions puzzle!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mooonwalk

mooonwalk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

Hello, BC!

I am trying to deny myself permissions on a file that activates an internet filter. I want to deny myself permissions so that I do not have the option of moving/deleting this file and disabling the filter. There's one important caveat: I have to remain an administrator in order to install programs, etc. This means that simply reserving permissions for admins isn't an option.

My initial plan was to create another administrator account, give all permissions over the file to this account, and then have someone else password-protect the account. I realized that this wouldn't work since I could remove the password on the second admin account, log in, and modify the file.

What other methods should I try? Creative solutions are welcome!

Edited by mooonwalk, 28 December 2011 - 07:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

My initial plan was to create another administrator account, give all permissions over the file to this account,
and then have someone else password-protect the account.

This sounds like you cannot trust yourself ??
Yes, if you can create another Admin account this is the easy way around it.

#3 mooonwalk

mooonwalk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

Right - the point is to "lock myself out" from the file's permissions so that I don't have the option of disabling the filter.

I'm aware that the method I outlined lets me circumvent the permissions settings. I'm asking for other ideas on how to lock myself out because the method I outlined doesn't work.

#4 mooonwalk

mooonwalk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

Bump!

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

I'm asking for other ideas on how to lock myself out because the method I outlined doesn't work.

Please leave a few more details than just this on why it will not work -

#6 mooonwalk

mooonwalk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

I need to remain an administrator to install programs and edit Control Panel settings. Because I am an administrator, I can circumvent the method I posted above by removing the password on the second account and then logging in and modifying the file.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

I need to remain an administrator to install programs and edit Control Panel settings...................

You are still answering your own questions -
If you can not be trusted with using the computer go to EBay and solve the problem fully. :killcomp:

I must know, is this due to your browsing habits, or is this due to the fact that you or another person will install other programs ??
Yet you still want to be able to install and operate programs with full Admin permission -
Do you just want the computer :censored: from anything you may do, or others may do ??
It sounds like you want sites and areas blocked, which can be done, if we know the specific sites -

However, I will ask a few others for ideas that are not so severe :)
- Please take this post in the sense that I do not wish to offend you, but any specific sites must be named -
However, remember that if you are given any solution, you can always reverse it -

Thank You - :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users