Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrative Confusion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Synnicism

Synnicism

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:21 PM

I somehow managed to change the Administrator info in my computer. I was trying to "unhide" files, and apparently clicked the wrong thing. Unfortunately? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT WAS.

So now I come to you good people.

I have looked around the forums and it seems I am missing a users option in my manage computer file.

Posted Image

Between the Shared Files & Performance should be a folder called "Local Users and Groups". But clearly I do not have it.

The Admin issue is driving me batty. Trying to move files into folders causes this issue:

Posted Image

Which is rather frustrating.

There are not other users on this laptop and I would like to fix this as soon as possible. I haven't found any answers in the forums or tutorials, although maybe I'm just frazzled and not looking in the right spots.

Thanks in advance for your help.

~ Synn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

What is the user option? I do not see any user option under my disk management. Why do you move files from Program folders?

Tekken

#3 Synnicism

Synnicism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

I am missing some options. I don't know what you are referring to. I'm trying to PUT files in (in this case a zip file into a game folder). It's just a game, using it as an example of folder issues.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

If you are not running as the administrator, you will really have problems with user account control. I would suggest looking for a legit way or manual of attaching files to any program or software.

Edited by jhayz, 29 December 2011 - 09:20 PM.

Tekken

#5 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:32 AM

In the computer management windows you will not see the 'local users and groups' addin unless you are using Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate (or if Vista the same). If you are using home premium or basic that 'local users and groups' will NOT be available.

Now for moving files and getting that administrator prompt - vista and windows 7 changed the permissions settings so users would not copy files into places they should not be. In your case if you are moving files into "program files" or any sub-directory there of (ie program files\minecraft).

If you do not want to see that prompt turn UAC (User account control) off (relatively easy) or change the permissions on the folder (hard). If you need detailed instructions please post back.

#6 Synnicism

Synnicism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:33 AM

@ AngryRaisin: thank you! :) I'll just deal with the permissions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users