Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound through speakers or headphones

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Leeanne

Leeanne

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

I have a Dell Latitude D620 that was recently knocked onto the floor from nightstand height (while I was gone). I had my earbuds plugged into the headphone jack (an L type shaped plug, if that makes a difference) when this happened. When I booted up the computer, to see if it would start up, I didn't notice any sounds, but thought that I might have it muted. It wasn't muted, no sound from the laptop speakers at all. I tried plugging in the earbuds again to see if they would work and not only did they not work, but the headphone jack is now pushed in further into the laptop. Can this possibly be an easy fix, such as the sound card having become unseated? Or am I looking at a major expense to repair this?!? :(

If it is important, I am running Windows 7 Professional on this computer. Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

Most likely its the port that must be misplaced or broken hopefully. You were lucky as some would end replacing a laptop screen.

Tekken

#3 Leeanne

Leeanne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

Not that I ever plan on my laptop getting knocked over or dropped and hope/pray it doesn't happen again, but is it really a potential risk that my screen could have gotten broken and needed replacing, even though the laptop was turned off and closed?

Thanks for the reassurance about the sound issue though!! :)

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

While being closed does lessen the likelihood of breaking the screen, it is not exactly sturdy. It can easily break if the laptop lands upside down at an bad angle.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users