Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NAS, or Enclosure?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kbphoto

kbphoto

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone here can give me some specific product suggestions and advice. Thanks in advance for anyone's time and help.

So, I basically have these two bare HDD's just sitting here collecting dust. I have an old Vantech Dual Bay Docking Station, but it broke a while ago, either the power supply is failing or the device itself just stopped working. Honestly, I'm not too sure, it barely worked most of the time anyone and hated my 3.5" drive. So now I'm in the market for a new solution, since I'm wasting this valuable HDD space.

The two drives are as follows: 1 Seagate 80gb 2.5" Sata/Satall /&/ 1 Samsung 1000(1TB) 3.5" Sata/Satall

To my knowledge they are both SATA drives, I can provide pictures to get a confirmation on that if someone can assist me in uploading images to this sites forum. I do not know how, nor do I want to break any rules by posting an image of the drives.

Anyway. for the most part my main requirement is being able to attach these drives to my home network full time and use them from my main laptop in my room, or from any computer on the network. I have a wireless N network, with an available USB port, or ethernet port, on my Wireless N600 Netgear WNDR3700 router. But I'd also like USB 3.0 or SATA ports for faster transfer speeds when I am transferring a large amount. I appreciate any advice anyone can give, when searching through different products that suit my needs, I am overwhelmed with the choices. Any clarification or specific product suggestions would be very much appreciated.

PS.

This is my second post, in a different sub forum. I am hoping it gets more attention here, I really need some fast help here as I need these drives quickly, running out of space. :D haha thanks in advance!

Mod Edit: Deleted duplicate post in Networking forum ~ Hamluis.
- KB

Edited by hamluis, 29 December 2011 - 10:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kbphoto

kbphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

bump

anyone?

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

If I was looking for fast and expandable I would go NAS. It is hard to say what product to use as there are to many variables left unsaid here but for lack of information I would suggest something like THIS. It gives you bays for two drives and has some good support for lots of devices and connection types. I would ditch the notebook drive since they are really slow and it is such a small capacity and get a two or three TB drive when your budget allows.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users