Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to run any programs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 lorenmcc

lorenmcc

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:13 PM

I am trying to help a friend get his computer running. He claims he clicked on a video that said something like "wait till you see this..." the video started and then the screen went blank and the computer rebooted. After the reboot, nothing except Windows system apps work. We cannot run IE, Firefox, Malwarebytes, AVG, or any other scanner or internet type program. With Task Manager up, I can sometimes see the program start and then freeze and then go away. I see the same behavior in Safe Mode. I suspect something is running that is killing all apps other than windows system apps.

Note: all downloads are on another computer and transferred to the computer by a flash drive

What we have tried so far:
- downloaded all versions of the .exe registry update files, they all seem to run.
- downloaded all versions of rkill I could find. These do not seem to run at all.
- have tried System Restore to go back to a point prior to the problem
- in preparation for this i followed the instructions in the "Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Tools and ..." document. I was unable to run either dds.scr (did nothing) or gmer.exe (64 bit OS).

I have attached to jpg files of screen prints of the processes I see running in Task Manager.

This is a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS.

Thanks,
Loren McCullough

Attached File  Task Manager 1.jpg   217.28KB   0 downloads
Attached File  Task Manager 2.jpg   209.43KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lorenmcc

lorenmcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

One thing I forgot to mention is that there are no error messages.

Any help with this?

#3 lorenmcc

lorenmcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

Problem resolved. Through a suggestion of another user who read this topic, we tried HitManPro 64-bit version and it found a bootkit that was preventing 32bit programs from running. All seems to be functioning normally now.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users